Can you copy symbology from one Feature Layer to another in AGOL?

Jump to solution
03-15-2021 03:02 PM
DavidMedeiros
Occasional Contributor III

Is there anyway, when adding a new hosted Feature Layer to an existing Web Map, to apply custom symbols by attribute without manually changing each symbol?

I'm thinking about a function similar to Import Symbology from ArcGIS Desktop, where a set of symbol/value definitions can be copied from one layer to another so the symbology only needs to be setup once when working with multiple layers that share the same values for a given attribute field (like 'type').

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty

Sure.  There is no native AGOL solution at this time.  Sounds like maybe your non-GIS folks are deleting the old hosted layer and uploading a new one in order to perform the update?  As an alternative work flow (that would avoid the symbology issue), could you have them use "Update data" from the Item Details page to overwrite the data in the existing hosted feature class?  This would preserve your symbology.

Jay
Washoe County GIS

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty

I don't believe there is any way within AGOL to do this directly, but you could use AGOL Assistant to copy the symbology section from an existing layer symbolized the way you want to the new layer...see this similar post:

Solved: Copy Symbology form one ArcGIS Layer to Another - Esri Community

Vote up this Idea...

Import Symbology to Hosted Feature Service or Host... - Esri Community

Jay
Washoe County GIS
DavidMedeiros

Thanks. I had someone else recommend AGOL Assistant as well. But, this is for a research group with mostly  transient, non GIS folks updating an AGOL Dashboard where the main feature layer in the linked map is repeatedly updated overtime. In order to keep the transfer of knowledge simple, it needs to be a native AGOL solution.

0 Kudos
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty

Sure.  There is no native AGOL solution at this time.  Sounds like maybe your non-GIS folks are deleting the old hosted layer and uploading a new one in order to perform the update?  As an alternative work flow (that would avoid the symbology issue), could you have them use "Update data" from the Item Details page to overwrite the data in the existing hosted feature class?  This would preserve your symbology.

Jay
Washoe County GIS
DavidMedeiros

That's what I was looking for! Amazing how no web search I did with keywords like "arcgis online update data" brought me to that information. Will set up a test run now, but this looks like exactly what I was originally looking for (before moving on to symbology importing). Thanks.

0 Kudos