Can you change the favicon for web apps?

04-20-2020 11:45 AM
ChelseaDickerson1
New Contributor II

I haven't been able to find a recent answer to this exact question. I don't see anywhere that we can change this within Web App Builder. 

Are we able to change the favicon for web maps, web map apps, and/or storymaps?

6 Replies
BenTurrell
Occasional Contributor III

Hey Chelsea Dickerson‌,

I had a look because I though this would a reasonably easy fix however I have had very little luck! I thought it might be a setting in the json that I could edit with ArcGIS Online Assistant but no luck.

You should be able to download the application and then change the icon in the index.html in the root of the application folder. It should be around line 9 and look like so:

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="images/shortcut.ico">

You will then need to host it using your own web server.

Thanks,

Ben

If this answer was helpful please mark it as helpful. If this answer solved your question please mark it as the answer to help others who have the same question.

ChelseaDickerson
New Contributor

Ben,

I'm not following when you say "download the application"... what application? Sorry, I'm relatively new to AGO.

0 Kudos
BenTurrell
Occasional Contributor III

Chelsea Dickerson‌,

The Web App Builder allows you to customise a JavaScript application without having to write JavaScript yourself. When you use the Web App Builder you are effectively passing in configurations to a JavaScript application. To download the application you download the JavaScript application which lets you fully customize the Web App Builder. This is done in JavaScript and html (in you case you will likely just need to modify the html). When you download the application you get full control over what you configure but you give up the ease of use of the Web app builder. To download your application go to the applications Item page in ArcGIS Online and you will see the download button:

This will download you a zip file containing the application. You will then need to unzip the application and edit the index.html file to change the favicon. Once you have changed this you will need to host the applicaiton in your own web server environment. For full list of steps you can see here: Deploy your app—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS (Developer Edition) | ArcGIS for Developers 

Unforutnately it is a long and convoluted process to just change the favicon however it does give you complete control of the application and full customisation.

Thanks,

DorothyFriday
New Contributor II

You should add this capability to App Builder and/or Experience Builder! Some of Esri's configurable templates (e.g. Crowdsource Reporter) have an easy option to add favicon.

FredericPoliart_EsriAU
Occasional Contributor II

If you are using Experience Builder developer edition, you can change the exb.ico , located in \cdn\{number}\assets\  before uploading to the web. 

0 Kudos
RebeccaSegura
New Contributor

Hi I am new to using Experience Builder dev edition.  Can you give me a little more direction on where and how to change the icon?  I found two index.html files that have the exb.ico in them.  I have changed them there but I am not seeing it reflect on my app.

Thanks,

Reb  

0 Kudos