Can the word Vector be added to the basemaps please

06-18-2021 07:51 AM
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I would love a better way to tell the raster from the vector basemaps.  They both look the same in a search and the raster one actually has a newer date. 

The little yellow symbols are slightly different but when you hover over them they both just say Tile Layer.  If it said Vector Tile layer in that little popup or better yet in the title that would help us find the right one a lot.

DougBrowning_0-1624027665787.png

Unless I am missing a way?  I usually either check description, which is still a bit vague on how to tell, or I zoom into the Great Salt lake which is slightly diff in the vector.

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

In the new map viewer, an easy check is to rotate the map, as vector labels should orient to the view.

jcarlson_0-1624029348075.png

Of course, you have to add them to your map to see that. The descriptions ought to show something about it being a vector tile layer prominently enough, but I haven't checked all of them.

jcarlson_1-1624029513172.png

That said, I think it would be nice if there were something on the thumbnail that indicated this, even just a V or R after the title? Even the tooltip for the item type just says "Tile Layer". Not that clicking into the details is that much more work, but if we can eliminate 2-4 more clicks just by adding a single letter to the item's title, that seems like it would be an easy win.

I'd post this same thing in the Ideas Exchange, you'll get my upvote for sure.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yea the vector does say it but raster does not.

For me I zoom into Salt Lake

Raster

DougBrowning_0-1624030193132.png

Vector

DougBrowning_1-1624030258881.png

On testing I am finding that the Vector basemaps download a bit faster but strangely are much larger.  The same offline area with raster is 13 mb and vector it is 123 mb.  I tested this twice with the exact same area.   That seems weird right? 10 times the size?  Maybe I do not want to change us over then.  I also see no bounding box when using a vector map and going offline.  I am testing with Field Maps.

What am I missing here?  Thanks

BTW my concern is rasters are retiring.   https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/announcements/esris-hosted-raster-basemap-se...

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

That seems odd, it ought to be the other way around... Is the offline area including multiple levels of detail in one, but not the other?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Was just going to edit that Vector basemap does not even ask me the level of detail.  Maybe since they scale differently?  Basically infinite and not such thing as levels of detail.  That would make more sense on the size diff.  It is still faster too, which is prob cause no packing up of the tiles as with raster.  But weird.

Oh and vector topo map has no actual topo lines?  That may be a deal breaker for us.

Since I am forcing in a new basemap hillshade was not coming with.  Hillshade is still raster so for a topo to look good you will need to use raster anyway.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The admin turned the vector basemaps back on and now they both show with exactly the same name.  A way to tell them apart would be great, not sure what the official way is.

DougBrowning_0-1624284046443.png

thanks

0 Kudos