Can the "Area of Interest" of views be used to control the spatial extent where users of the "View" can edit new features?

01-04-2019 01:09 PM
RolandDuhaime
Occasional Contributor

I have created a "View" for a hosted feature layer.  Next, I am setting the "View Definition" to define an "Area of Interest."  However, when I return back to the "Visualization" tab in AGOL,  the world map doesn't zoom into this area by default.  Also, using the Hosted-View, I am still able to create additional features outside this "Area of Interest."  Can the "Area of Interest" of views be used to control the spatial extent where users of the "View" can edit new features?  The documentation doesn't seem to cover this.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The area of interest in views is meant to filter out features in the parent layer that fall outside the specified area. It's about limiting visibility of features not editing.

Because the area of interest limits visibility and not editing when you add a feature outside the specified AOI you will see that feature until the browser is refreshed. Simply adding a feature does not trigger a refresh which re-executes the request to the service that includes the filter. However, If you refresh your browser you will see that the feature added outside the AOI will no longer be visible. It will still be present in the service itself but you won't see it displayed unless you remove the AOI.