can't sign in to arcgis online through ArcMap file menu

06-30-2010 12:41 PM
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor
When I try to sign in to ArcGIS Online through the ArcMap File menu (version 10.0 final), I get a Sign On Failure message that says "Unable to connect to ArcGIS Online." I can connect through my web browser with no problem.

Tim
Tags (2)
37 Replies
GregoryLund1
New Contributor III
One suggestion is to track the request that gets sent from ArcMap with a program like Fiddler. This might uncover some more detailed error message that could help troubleshoot the problem. If possible, you might try connecting outside your company, like at home, where a firewall won't interfere.

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks Mike,
Trouble is, it won't work here at the WAURISA conference (ESRI booth is right next to our booth (University of WA, Tacoma GIS Program), and it won't work at 'WORK'.
I don't really need it to work at home, I need it to work, at WORK so that i can show/teach my GIS 311, GIS 312 and GIS 414 Students.
I'm wondering if it isn't possible to do from 10.0 SP3.
Also wondering if this isn't an issue for 10.1 or 10.2 users?

I have a survey up at WAURISA (May 2014) asking what version people are using, maybe it's a version issue?

Greg

PS, I will try from home, as an attempt to trouble shoot, will update in 2 days.
0 Kudos
TimothyEdmonds
New Contributor
I am using a trial version of ArcGIS ArcEditor 10.0 SP5 (Build 4400) that came with a ESRI Press Tutorial Workbook.

I have an ArcGIS Online account which has been registered, but from within ArcEditor, the 'ArcGIS Online Sign In' dialog box cannot connect to the target site.

Proxy server test: passed; Download Speed Test: failed ("Test site unreachable"); Network latency test: "undetermined"; Network Route Test: failed.

If I totally disable the firewall, the results are exactly the same.

Is there anyway to get this working?
0 Kudos
AndrewWhite4
New Contributor

Hello all,

I'm new to the forums and to ArcGIS but am having a similar problem where my user can no longer use Add Data>Add Data From ArcGIS Online.  The window appears, he gets the header information, clicks Sign In and it crashes ArcMap.  I'm not sure what is causing this but are using a proxy.  One item I had a question about was the Connection settings and how it was formatted.

This is what I see

ArcCatalog connection settings.jpg

Since I'm new to the program, I don't know if this is an accepted format and from the text below the settings, am I to assume if you do not populate these fields it will default to the proxy settings in Internet Explorer?  Do you need to enter "http=" for the address and can you separate with a semicolon. As a side note, my user can access the internet.  I did all the tricks I could find such as unchecking 'automatically detect settings', a Reset on IE, made IE the default browser.  As I'm trying to narrow down the list of suspects, the above image came up and would like to investigate it further or write if off, depending on the response.

0 Kudos
RachelS
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

Has anyone found a solution to this? I am receiving the same error when I try to sign into ArcMap 10.1 on my server. I can log in fine to ArcMap 10.2.2.

Rachel

0 Kudos
nancyvonmeyer
New Contributor III

I have the same issue running arcmap10.2.2 but did not have this issue prior to the upgrade.  I can login from the browser but not form within arcmap - did you find a solution? - thank you - nancy

0 Kudos
RachelS

No, I still can't do it!

0 Kudos
nancyvonmeyer
New Contributor III

Rachel - I had a really good support person today - Brenda - and she walked me thru a process that updated my IE settings and that fixed the issue. I don't even use that for my default browser but resetting it solved the issue

0 Kudos
nancyvonmeyer
New Contributor III

here are the steps Rachel

1. In Internet Explorer, click the Tools toolbar button and choose the menu command Internet Options.

2. Click the Advanced tab.

3. Click the Reset button.

4. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box appears.

5. Click the Reset button in the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box.

6. Click the Close button.

7. Click the OK button and then:

8. Close all open Internet Explorer windows to restart Internet Explorer.

9. Restart the pc

RachelS

Thanks Nancy,

I tried that but unfortunately it doesn't work for me.

There is someone else's name defaulted in where I try to sign in. I wonder does this have anything to do with it, I wonder how to get rid of it.

Rachel

0 Kudos
DaleLoberger
New Contributor

I'm still having similar trouble after reading and doing everything I read in this thread. I am running 10.0 and my account is registered with my global ID. It used to work for me prior to changing my password. Is there some way I need to make ArcMap forget my previous password other than typing in the new one over the old one?

0 Kudos