can't sign in to arcgis online through ArcMap file menu

06-30-2010 12:41 PM
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor
When I try to sign in to ArcGIS Online through the ArcMap File menu (version 10.0 final), I get a Sign On Failure message that says "Unable to connect to ArcGIS Online." I can connect through my web browser with no problem.

Tim
Tags (2)
37 Replies
Mtclimber03
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Kelly! This resolved my issue. Very odd that ArcMap would not allow the sign in prompt to load until 1st logging in on Internet Explorer. Thanks for the tip!

0 Kudos
ChristopherMinguez
New Contributor
As I understand it, the login for ESRI training, et cetera, isn't a -global- login, it's a local one. So following the steps Mike outlined should register it -globally-, then you can port in through ARC. That's what was confusing me, anyway. Thanks, Mike.
0 Kudos
DavidEdwards1
New Contributor
I have a similar problem to those previous with logging on through arcGIS online - I get "Error signing in to ArcGIS online, unable to generate token, invalid username or password, so I create a new password, link is sent to me, password reset, but still can't log in.  I've done this twice now. The problem is with the password reset function rather than the arcgis online from within ArcMap.  Suggestions welcome.
Dave
0 Kudos
ThomasSchubert
New Contributor II
I had to face the same problem to those previous with logging on through ArcGIS 10.0 / ArcGIS online - I get "Error signing in to ArcGIS online, unable to generate token, invalid username or password",
so I create a new password, link was sent to me, password reset, but still can't log in via ArcGIS Desktop. Afterwards I logged in to ArcGIS global via Internet Explorer instead of Firefox. No success on ArcGISOnlin within ArcGIS Desktop.

Upon running the network connection test, Network Latency and Network Routing test failed - as some of the previous users told here - however all other online functions work fine, and I can login to arcgis with global account info in any browser.

Anny Suggestions welcome,
Thomas
0 Kudos
MarionBoulstridge
New Contributor
Our users are having the same problem on the GIS terminal servers.
Logging in through IE is fine but when trying through ArcMap there is an error saying "Unable to connect to ArcGIS Online" and the Network Route test fails.
0 Kudos
ThomasSchubert
New Contributor II
I think it is about a closed port in the firewalls ouf our companies. Could please any official of ESRI tell us users which ports have to be open for that kind of communication? Once we know it, its easy for the guys from our system services to open them in the firewalls.

Thanx to ESRI in advance and hoping for help,

Thomas
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
ArcMap communicates through ports 80  and 443.

thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
ThomasSchubert
New Contributor II
Hello Everybody,

my speculation, the problem was within the firewall was not true. Here is the way that led me to the solution.

Thanx to Mike,
Thomas

Vanessa,

Did you explicitly register your global ID with ArcGIS Online? You need to do this first.  The reason you have to register is because when you do, you get a workspace with up to 2 GB of free storage where you can add GIS items. We don't allocate this space until you register.

To register, do this:

1. From the ArcGIS.com website, click the Sign In link on the upper right.

2. Click the Register your Esri Global Account link underneath Not a Member?

3. Enter your Esri Global account user name and password and click Register.

4. Read the terms of use and click the I Accept button to agree to the terms.

5. Once you accept the terms of use, you are automatically signed in to ArcGIS.com.

Now, you should be able to sign in from ArcGIS Desktop.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
GregoryLund1
New Contributor III
Any solutions?
Using 10.0 SP3. Get the same errors (can't log in)
Have AGOL account and can log in via Firefox, but not from ArcMap 10.0 SP3.

Thoughts?
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
One suggestion is to track the request that gets sent from ArcMap with a program like Fiddler. This might uncover some more detailed error message that could help troubleshoot the problem. If possible, you might try connecting outside your company, like at home, where a firewall won't interfere.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos