Can't edit most fields in ArcGIS online hosted feature service, lock icon by column names

Jump to solution
10-03-2019 09:02 AM
IanWilliams3
New Contributor II

Hello, I have a point layer that occasionally needs attribute updates. I assume that this is done in the field without a problem, but circumstances have it that today I have a short list of updates to make through my pc. I click the point, the popup presents itself, and I click edit. There a few fields that are not grayed out that I can edit, but most are lightly grayed out and un-editable. When I open up the attribute table, a padlock icon appears next to the field names I can't edit.

I can edit the layer outside of the map, through browsing to it on My Content, but I can't find any explanation as to why these locks exist in my map.

Help is appreciated! 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Ian,

In a web map, you can configure the pop-ups so that certain fields are editable while others are not. This is achieved through the Configure Pop-Up menu:

If you are not able to edit the web map yourself (i.e. you don't own it or are not an administrator) I suggest reaching out to the owner request that those fields become editable.

Hope that helps!
-Katherine

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Ian,

In a web map, you can configure the pop-ups so that certain fields are editable while others are not. This is achieved through the Configure Pop-Up menu:

If you are not able to edit the web map yourself (i.e. you don't own it or are not an administrator) I suggest reaching out to the owner request that those fields become editable.

Hope that helps!
-Katherine

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
IanWilliams3
New Contributor II

Wow, thanks! I never thought the popup had such an impact on data entry; I thought it function was a simply a preview of attributes. Now that I know that, I can make data entry more convenient for users!

Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Oh yes, the possibilities are (almost) endless!  

Assuming that I was able to give you the info you needed, can you mark my answer as correct? Thanks!!

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos