Select to view content in your preferred language

can't display labels when upload map from ArcMap 10.1

09-12-2012 07:57 AM
CharlesCao
New Contributor
I uploaded a map with specific symbology and label (for example ID) from ArcMap 10.1, and the symbol can be displayed in Feature Service and web map of ArcGIS Online, but the lable couldn't.

Does somebody have the same issue? or solution and suggestion? Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Feature services don't support labels. They only store the geometry of features. You need to publish a map service if you want labels.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
CharlesCao
New Contributor
Feature services don't support labels. They only store the geometry of features. You need to publish a map service if you want labels.

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks Mike,

But the feature service is usually a kind of dynamic, editable data, and it could be updated synchronously.It is very important that labelling is shown in map viewer, and tell others what it is.

I don't know whether it is on your developing list for labeling? if so, how long we will wait for?

Thanks again.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
There are no plans to support labeling on feature services. That's just not how they work. Feature services are also drawn client side as graphics. If you add labels, we'd probably more quickly run into browser limitations.  We have ongoing work on dynamic map services, no timeline yet.

thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
CharlesCao
New Contributor
Just now I tied to publish a map with labels as a tiled map service, and the original file size is about 27M, but the cash size (level 8--17, and the scale is from 1:2,000,000 to 1:5,000) is more than 1G, and message shows "The estimated amount of credits exceeds the amount available for the organization by 457.7%", and I have 164 credits (totally 200 credits for trail) left until now. How many credits we need if so...

Thanks again.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Creating tiles down to large scales can create a lot of tiles and take a lot of disk space to store too. There's no relationship between the size of your data and the size of the cache. Cache size is determined by the number of levels you cache and the extent of your data.

Given the message you see, you need 450% more credits, so if my math is correct, 738 credits. Plus, you'd really only want to cache data that is somewhat static. So this may not be an effective solution for you. Labeling is an area with limited support (some ability to add labels as map notes in Explorer Online). This is an area that we need to develop. But there's nothing releasing in the next few months.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos