Can't add an item to ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
02-22-2019 08:12 AM
Vishnu_maheshVivek_nanda
New Contributor II

Hi, I am trying to upload a shapefile from my computer to ArcGIS Online. I clicked on My Content  -> Add Item, chose a file(a zip file containing all the auxiliary files of shapefile including the shp file), wrote the Tags, filename and when I click on the "Add Item" button the pop up menu, nothing is happening. I have tried with the same file before and it had worked before. Tried from two different Windows machines, tried different file sizes and different file names too. Still it doesn't seem to work. Any help will be appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi All,

Just wanted to let y'all know that this a known issue related to the most recent Chrome update. Current workarounds include: use incognito mode of Chrome, or use another browser. We are aware of this and a bug has been logged, but I apologize for any inconvenience!

Allie

View solution in original post

10 Replies
JoeCatanzarita1
Occasional Contributor II

Hello Vishnu Nanda,

Would it be possible for you to provide the .zip file that you're trying to load into ArcGIS Online? I'd like to try and play with it on my end to see if I get the same behavior. If you are able to provide the shapefile, I can always give you my email address in case you don't want to upload it here.

If you are unable to provide the .zip file, here are some troubleshooting steps I'd recommend:

• Can you unzip the folder and make a folder connection in ArcMap/ArcGIS Pro? Can you display the shapefile?
  • Perhaps you can try re-exporting the shapefile to a different folder and zipping that one.
  • Instead of using the manual upload process, are you able to publish from ArcMap/ArcGIS Pro to ArcGIS Online?
  • Maybe try using a different browser when trying to upload. Do you get the same behavior?

Since you've been able to do this before, and it's a supported workflow, my suspicion is that there might be a file missing in the .zip file which is preventing you from adding it to ArcGIS Online.

I look forward to your response!

Joe

0 Kudos
Vishnu_maheshVivek_nanda
New Contributor II

Hi Joe Catanzarita‌, 

Thank you for your suggestions. I was able to publish it through ArcMap. Here is the link to one of the many zip files I was trying to add https://ufile.io/0wg91. I didn't have any issues while opening the extracted zip file in ArcMap. I am using Google Chrome.

Thanks,

Vishnu

JoeCatanzarita1

Vishnu Nanda,

So I was able to download your zip file and play around with it a little bit -- I believe I have figured out what's going on here. The shapefile doesn't have a spatial index, which may have prevented it from being manually uploaded to ArcGIS Online. Here is a quick workflow on how to add a spatial index:

• Launch ArcMap
  • In the Catalog window, make a folder connection to the folder that houses the shapefile.
  • In the Catalog window, right click the shapefile > Properties.
  • Select the "Indexes" tab.
  • In the second section titled "Spatial Index", press the Add option to create a spatial index. 
  • Select Apply and then OK. You've now added a spatial index to the shapefile. 

To complete the workflow, go to the location of the shapefile in your file explorer. Click the top file, hold shift, and then select the bottom file. We want to send all of these files to a new zip file. Try to upload this zip file to ArcGIS Online. I was still running into issues uploading the file to ArcGIS Online, so I switched from Chrome to Internet Explorer and the upload was successful. 

Let me know if this works for you!

Joe

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Joe, 

I have followed this thread as I am encountering the same issue.  I have checked my data as you recommended and saw that it is indeed indexed. 

I'm beginning to wonder if there is a bug on the site, rather than an issue with the data.  I have reported it to ESRI today (2/26/19) and I hope to hear back soon. 

Haley

JoeCatanzarita1

Haley Marble,

Thank you for reaching out! I am starting to think there's an issue with Chrome. Perhaps you could try using Chrome Incognito Mode, Internet Explorer or a different browser to upload your content? 

Check out this thread: Help adding item (excel) to ArcGIS online. There are some responses from Russell which I've confirmed on my side. I'm currently using Chrome 72.x and am unable to add content to ArcGIS Online manually, however it works fine in Internet Explorer.

Please reach out if you have additional questions!

Joe

0 Kudos
e_cat
by
New Contributor III

The same issue is happening with me! I press 'Add item' and nothing happens... I have tried adding the zipped shapefile directly to a map and it says unable to upload

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Emily,

Joe got back to me with a temporary work-around. Try using Google Chrome “Incognito Mode” to upload the data to Arc Online. It worked without issue for me!

Best of luck!

Haley

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi All,

Just wanted to let y'all know that this a known issue related to the most recent Chrome update. Current workarounds include: use incognito mode of Chrome, or use another browser. We are aware of this and a bug has been logged, but I apologize for any inconvenience!

Allie

Bill_Cozzens
New Contributor II

Thanks Allie and others for the post!

I do not have this issue in the March QA early adopters version of ArcGIS online.

Any time frame for this fix or should we add it to our support tickets? Hard to explain to new and seasoned users . I found it and the workaround the hard way.

-Bill

0 Kudos