Select to view content in your preferred language

Can not connect to ArcGIS Online

09-06-2010 10:08 PM
JamieTill
New Contributor
I have installed ArcGIS 10, however the option to sign in is greyed out in the File menu. If I click on ArcGIS Online from the File menu the ArcGIS Online box appears, it waits about 2 minutes and then says "unable to connect to the remote server".

I have tried putting in my username / password into the proxy settings in ArcCatlog, but there was no difference. I just want to use Bing Maps as a base layer. Has anyone else had this issue?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
26 Replies
FrancisBoscoe
New Contributor
I still have this problem also. I also don't see an alternative to the forums because I am told that as a user of the Education Edition I am not entitled to support. I am trying to evaluate ArcGIS 10 for use in a graduate-level course this spring, but unless I can get this to work soon I'll stick with MapInfo for another year.
0 Kudos
GregoryPonto
New Contributor III
Instead of using the File Menu / ArcGIS Online operations, add the resource (http://services.arcgisonline.com/arcgis/services) as an ArcGIS Server Internet Resource within ArcCatalog, then add the basemap of your choice from the list of services provide.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Frank,

What exactly are you trying to do? While there is a problem connecting directly to arcgis.com from ArcGIS desktop, perhaps there is some workaround to the specific thing you are trying to do that we can provide for you.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
FrancisBoscoe
New Contributor
I am trying to obtain World Imagery data, preferably without having to store it locally.

(trying the suggestion posted on 12/2 gives me the same error: "cannot connect to the database server")
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
I am trying to obtain World Imagery data, preferably without having to store it locally.

(trying the suggestion posted on 12/2 gives me the same error: "cannot connect to the database server")

Francis,
  Can you open the basemaps in ArcGIS Desktop 10 by using the links here:
http://www.arcgis.com/home/group.html?owner=esri&title=ESRI%20Maps%20and%20Data&content=all

If you cannot access these services through the URL's, I'd strongly encourage you to share the URL's to the services with your IT Department. It is very possible that they are getting blocked internally.

Hope that helps,
Andrew
0 Kudos
FrancisBoscoe
New Contributor
Still no luck.

My IT person was questioning the connections tab in ArcCatalog options - why the address and port must be imported from Internet Explorer and cannot be entered directly. He thought this was likely to be a source of the problem.
0 Kudos
FrancisBoscoe
New Contributor
Here is the actual response from my IT support:

"it appears that the ArcGIS application doesn't know the proxy address/port. Therefore it cannot properly access the proxy server. Please advise us when ArcGIS responds to your question. I suspect the resolution may be as simple as setting an environment proxy variable or a command line switch."
0 Kudos
FrancisBoscoe
New Contributor
A user in a different part of my institution provided the answer. My proxy settings in Internet Explorer (Tools-->Internet Options-->Connections-->LAN Settings) needed to be tweaked for the app to work, even though they were adequate to run IE.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Frank,

I'm glad you got it working. For our future reference, and for others who may be having this same problem, you just set the proxy server under the LAN Settings, correct?

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
FrancisBoscoe
New Contributor
Correct.

The solution seems somewhat obvious in hindsight but my IT support folks say they've never had to do that before.
0 Kudos