Select to view content in your preferred language

Can not connect to ArcGIS Online

09-06-2010 10:08 PM
JamieTill
New Contributor
I have installed ArcGIS 10, however the option to sign in is greyed out in the File menu. If I click on ArcGIS Online from the File menu the ArcGIS Online box appears, it waits about 2 minutes and then says "unable to connect to the remote server".

I have tried putting in my username / password into the proxy settings in ArcCatlog, but there was no difference. I just want to use Bing Maps as a base layer. Has anyone else had this issue?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
26 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
If you're having proxy issues, I'd suggest you contact Esri Technical Support.

However, you don't need to sign in to add a Bing basemap. Choose  File > Add Data > Add Basemap and choose the basemap you want. Alternatively just go to the ArcMap Basemaps group in ArcGIS.com http://links.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/en/arcmap/layers  and click Open next to the one you want.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
JamieTill
New Contributor
Hi Mike,

Thank you so much for your advice, I did the last option and just opened the layer file in ArcGIS and it is working fine.

Cheers

Jamie
0 Kudos
FrancisBoscoe
New Contributor
I am having this problem also. I am behind a very secure firewall. I have tried adding user name and password in ArcCatalog, but no luck and I'm not sure what to do next.

Frank Boscoe
UAlbany
0 Kudos
bruceocken
New Contributor
I am experiencing the same problem sitting behind a firewall.  Anybody know what website addresses and ports need to be opend up on the firewall?
0 Kudos
FrancisBoscoe
New Contributor
Two weeks later: I am still stuck, in case anyone is monitoring this board.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
There are some problems with ArcGIS Desktop 10 connecting to ArcGIS.com through a proxy server. These issues are addressed in ArcGIS Desktop 10 SP1, which is due out shortly.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
RichardMcDonald
New Contributor
There are some problems with ArcGIS Desktop 10 connecting to ArcGIS.com through a proxy server. These issues are addressed in ArcGIS Desktop 10 SP1, which is due out shortly.
Hi all. I just downloaded and applied the service pack and ... no luck. Still get the same error. Whats unfortunate is that there is no indication as to what site its attempting to access so I cannot test it through a web browser.
0 Kudos
JanBorovanský
Esri Contributor
Just want to point out, that this type of error appears also without proxy settings...

Jan
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
I'm sorry the patch didn't fix the problem for you. We need more information about your particular configuration, network, etc. to help narrow down the problem. Can you please contact Technical Support and describe the problem you are having? They are better able to help narrow it down than we can do on the forums.

Thanks for your help and patience.

Mike
0 Kudos