Can layer selection be limited in ArcGIS Online?

Jump to solution
01-14-2015 01:46 PM
MarkBushyeager
New Contributor III

I am using ArcGIS online to create maps that I use with Explorer for Android.  I'd like to be able to make specific layers non-selectable so that I don't inadvertantly select features from those layers.  I have created maps with limited layer selectability in ArcMap, but when I publish to ArcGIS Online, all layers are selectable.  Is there a way to limit layer selection in ArcGIS Online and (more importantly) in Explorer for Android/iOS?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Mark,

What are the editing settings that are set in the feature service?

If you want the specific layers to never be editable as a feature service, then consider removing editing capabilities when publishing your feature service or updating the current capabilities of an already existing feature service.

If you are only concerned for the purposes of using collector and explorer, consider modifying the layer settings in the web map. This way, the feature service can be edited by other applications if desired but selection will be disabled for this particular use.

You can control individual layer selection and editability in the web map that you create in ArcGIS Online. If you remove the pop up and disable editing on a layer (if editing is enabled).

Kelly

View solution in original post

4 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Mark,

What are the editing settings that are set in the feature service?

If you want the specific layers to never be editable as a feature service, then consider removing editing capabilities when publishing your feature service or updating the current capabilities of an already existing feature service.

If you are only concerned for the purposes of using collector and explorer, consider modifying the layer settings in the web map. This way, the feature service can be edited by other applications if desired but selection will be disabled for this particular use.

You can control individual layer selection and editability in the web map that you create in ArcGIS Online. If you remove the pop up and disable editing on a layer (if editing is enabled).

Kelly

MarkBushyeager
New Contributor III

Thank you Kelly.  That is exactly what I needed.

0 Kudos
JeffSegal
New Contributor III

Hi Kelly,

When using disable editing on a layer​ it does disable editing.

But upon inspecting the JSON, it seems that current capabilities for the layer are still set to allow edits.

If there is another control, which one has precedence?

0 Kudos
JaredTaylor
New Contributor III

Today in ArcGIS Online you can simply choose "Delete Pop-up" no need to disable editing on the layer if all you want to do is disable selection of the feature on the map.