Can I use shared datasources for my hosted feature services?

Jump to solution
08-13-2014 01:33 PM
Laurensvan_der_Burgt
New Contributor III

In other words: multiple feature services which share a common datasource. Is this possible or should I use ArcGIS Server to achieve this?

I tried to use the updateDefinition operation in order to change the source:

(without any luck)

http://services.arcgis.com/XXXXXXXXXXXXX/ArcGIS/rest/admin/services/domtst/FeatureServer/0/updateDef...

"adminLayerInfo" : {

"tableName" : "my shared table"

Best Regards,

Laurens

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Laurensvan_der_Burgt
New Contributor III

My conclusion is that (the current release) of ArcGIS Online does not provide the fine grained control of datasources and security I am looking for:

- Not possible to configure an AGOL service to use multiple access rules for different users or groups

- Not possible to share a common datasource between multiple AGOL services

In my specific case I worked around this issue by using two different apps and configuring a proxy page:

Esri/resource-proxy · GitHub

It would also be possible to use ArcGIS Server as a fallback option.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
MatejVrtich
Esri Contributor

Hi,

I tried to do the same using addToDefinition operation according the ArcGIS REST API‌ documentation, which is followed by this error message: table XXX cannot reference more than one layer.

So, it seems it is not supported on the data source level.

What I am trying to do is to publish data (as AGOL hosted feature service) for editors (only selected users) as well as for viewers (Everyone). As editors edit data, viewers see the changes. To accomplish this, I need two services sitting on top of the same data source, which seems is not supported by AGOL.

Regards,

Matej

0 Kudos
MaterMaps
New Contributor II

Matej Vrtich Did you find a way to accomplish using the same data source for editors and viewers?

0 Kudos
Laurensvan_der_Burgt
New Contributor III

My conclusion is that (the current release) of ArcGIS Online does not provide the fine grained control of datasources and security I am looking for:

- Not possible to configure an AGOL service to use multiple access rules for different users or groups

- Not possible to share a common datasource between multiple AGOL services

In my specific case I worked around this issue by using two different apps and configuring a proxy page:

Esri/resource-proxy · GitHub

It would also be possible to use ArcGIS Server as a fallback option.

MaterMaps
New Contributor II

Did you reach out to @esri team?

If I cannot use the same hosted data for two different map services (one for publishing & one for editing), it fails to meet a very basic data requirement.

Can anyone at ArcGIS Online‌ respond to my query?

0 Kudos
spiskulaspiskula
New Contributor III

Has this been fixed by any chance?  I am in a position where I'd like to be able to swap in/out individual FCs that underpin Hosted Feature Service layers. This is a big, 300GB ish service with 30 layers. Originally they come from multiple FGDBs. Then for publishing to AGOL get consolidated to a single endpoint. As such I dont want to refresh the entire service when only one source FGDB needs updating. It would be much greater if I could upload the FGDB and repoint my service definition to the new. up to date endpoint.

0 Kudos