Can I use my own polygon pattern for symbology in ArcGIS Online?

Jump to solution
06-01-2017 09:48 AM
EmilyLee2
New Contributor III

Hello GeoNet,

I wonder if it is possible to use my own polygon pattern for symbology on ArcGIS Online like points do.  I have a set of standard pattern for land use, but they are not solid colors.  

Ex:

And when I tried to pre-set the symbology before publishing the service online, those came out empty (hollow with no color) or solid black instead.  Like this:

Any idea please?

Thank you!

Emily

15 Replies
OussamaMerhi
New Contributor II

I am trying to update my Admin REST endpoint for the hosted feature layer but once I click on update service definition it gives me

error in updating as the picture below

OussamaMerhi_0-1634576920563.png

0 Kudos
VincentLaunstorfer
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks for the solution to modify symbology of hosted Feature in ArcGIS Online.

I am trying to micmic a hatch symbol fill over a fill symbol fill (multi-layers symbol),  as follow:

ArcGIS Pro symbolArcGIS Pro symbol

When shared to ArcGIS Online, only the first 2 layers displays. It looks like the plain yellow fill is not in the  JSON file.

In drawingInfo for uniqueValue renderer, initially I have:

{"symbol":{"type":"esriSFS","style":"esriSFSBackwardDiagonal","color":[255,85,0,255],"outline":{"type":"esriSLS","style":"esriSLSSolid","color":[255,85,0,255],"width":0.5}},"value":"Sample","label":"Sample"}

And I am trying to add an extra “layer” in the symbology for the plain yellow fill:

"type":"esriSFSSolid","color":[255,255,153,255]

When updating the drawingInfo code, it gives:

{"symbol":{"type":"esriSFS","style":"esriSFSBackwardDiagonal","color":[255,85,0,255],"type":"esriSFSSolid","color":[255,255,153,255],"outline":{"type":"esriSLS","style":"esriSLSSolid","color":[255,85,0,255],"width":0.5}},"value":"Sample","label":"Sample"}

When hitting Update Service Definition button, it looks ok with a message “Updated Feature Service”… but when returning to the drawingInfo code, the changes do not appear.

I also tried to change the "lastEditDate" to null to validate the change, but it did not work either.

Finally, I noticed a message “Note: This operation is only supported via POST” in the top of the JSON page. Would it cause the drawingInfo not to update?

Any help appreciated

VincentLaunstorfer
Occasional Contributor III

In addition to the JSON issue mentioned, is there a reason why the JSON do not show up in Portal?

Portal_Update_Definition.png

It is strange! Same layer published to ArcGIS Online, JSON file is accessible, but not in Portal...

0 Kudos
EmilyL
by
Occasional Contributor

Hello. Your post really helps a lot of people. I thank you again!  When I update the color RGBA and click the 'Update Service Definition' on the bottom, it doesn't update when I check the layer on webmap when adding it from the URL.  When I go back to the Admin Update Service Definition page, the RGBA #s went back to original.  Am I missing some step?  Thank you.

DeVoe_William
New Contributor II

You should be able to change the color in the drawingInfo section of the JSON, but I do not think there is anyway to change the width of the lines, or to overlay multiple line layers as you could do in ArcMap. For this sort of complex symbology you would have to publish a service through ArcServer not AGOL.

BritaVespere
New Contributor III

Seems that Map Viewer Beta works well with hatched symbols published from ArcGIS Pro. I can even change the hatched line color. But not line width.