Can I use Image Services in ArcGIS Online?

08-17-2017 10:20 PM
RobDunfey
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I'm investigating moving an onsite image service to ArcGIS Online.  Is this possible, or will it be possible in the future?  I don't see the equivalent of an AGS image service, the closest appears to be a tiled layer? Its a collection of bathymetry rasters and I want users to be able to query pixel values (water depth).

Kind Regards,

Rob

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Rob,

Currently you require an ArcGIS Enterprise installation in order to publish image services and their imagery functions. It's possible to display and render image services in web maps and apps.

-Kelly

0 Kudos
CandiceOoi
New Contributor III

Hi Kelly,

Can you please share the workflow of adding images (.tiff and maybe even .grd files) into web maps with me? Thank you very much.

Best,

Candice

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

HI Candice,

ArcGIS Online does not support hosting raster data. In order to add raster files to ArcGIS Online they must be published as an image service (ArcGIS Enterprise) or as a tiled service (created in ArcGIS Desktop)

Some further information is available in this discussion

Adding raster data to ArcGIS Online? 

ArcGIS Online does have some configurable apps that use image services, check out this blog for more information about how to use the data once it is published: https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/configurable-apps/imagery/two-new-configurable-apps-for-im... 

-Kelly

0 Kudos