Can I use ArcGIS Online in areas without cellular signal

06-14-2018 12:15 PM
MichaelLohr
Occasional Contributor II

Our scenario is needing to take an online map to a remote area with poor to no cellular signal, and collect data using Collector and iOS tablets. I see where the summer upgrade will have some enhanced capabilities in this area, but what are the current capabilities at this time.

We use ERSI streamed aerials as a base and serve data layers from out ArcGIS Server. 

Thanks for any help.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Michael,

> Our scenario is needing to take an online map to a remote area with poor to no cellular signal, and collect data using Collector and iOS tablets.

Yes, Collector for ArcGIS (which runs on iOS) supports disconnected field workflows.

Go offline—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

Hope this helps,

MichaelLohr
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks Derek, I had been to that link, and it is clear that the capability is there. However, there are a lot of configuration nuances to pay attention to. Not all online maps are properly set up to be offline enabled. The individual data layers need to be enabled as well. Depending on the source of the data and the version of server software, they may not be enabled by default, or there will be varying functionality.  

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Michael,

This presentation is another good resource: Synchronizing and Disconnected Editing in Collector

Hope this helps,