Can I publish my own locally projected basemap to ArcGIS Online to use in a local web scene?

03-30-2017 03:10 AM
CarmaSatchwell
New Contributor

Hello

I have published some #local buildings using the new #Beta publishing process. Can I now somehow #publish #basemap and elevation data in a local CS to ArcGIS Online?

Regards,

Carma

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Yes you can! You can publish your own hosted elevation and hosted tile layer in ArcGIS Online. 

For the Tile Layer you want to use as a basemap

You will want to create a tiling scheme for your data which matches the same projected coordinate system you used in your scene layer and publish the tile layer. You could create a tile package and upload that to ArcGIS Online to create a hosted tile layer and then you can use "Open in Scene Viewer" which will open the data in a local scene using that tile layer and you can then add in your scene layer

For the Elevation Layer in your local scene

You will want to use the same tiling scheme but you will need to use a different tiling scheme file. The reason why you will want another tiling scheme file is to define the tile format as LERC. if you do not do this you will end up with another tile layer instead of an elevation layer. Once you have the tiling scheme file ready you can use the Manage Tile Cache tool and then Export Tile Cache tool to generate the tile package which you will upload to AGOL and create a hosted elevation layer.

Creating and Using Elevation Layers in ArcGIS Online & ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Blog 

You can then author the local scene in Pro which can use all the services you published or you can author the local scene in the scene viewer.

How to Create Local Scenes in the Scene Viewer | ArcGIS Blog 

Cheers

Russ

CarmaSatchwell
New Contributor

Hi russellroberts

Thanks so much for the guidance and such a quick response. Where I was going wrong was in the creating of the tile cache. I was using the AGOL scheme which is WGS, therefore when I uploaded my packages, they were WGS 84. 

So now, my process isn't quite flawless yet. Here is what I have done so far:

Publishing local base map

• Generate New Tiling Scheme, choose from predefined scheme, choose AGOL, then change back to 'new' so it retains some defaults, however takes local projection from data source. 
  • Create map tile package using new tiling scheme
  • Add item to AGOL and publish
  • Wait for tiles to finish publishing

Publishing local elevation

• Generate New Tiling Scheme, same as abovem however choose LERC as tile format
  • Manage Tile Cache to create cache using the new tiling scheme file
  • Export Tile Cache, as tile package
  • Add item to AGOL  and publish
  • Open in scene viewer
  • Its there as the elevation layer however the scene is flat.....

So why would the scene be flat? Have i done something wrong?

Here is the elevation service URL:

http://tiles.arcgis.com/tiles/1xtpOkQPdMncawbh/arcgis/rest/services/Portland_Elevation_Monday/ImageS... 

Greetings from Zürich

Carma

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you share a pro project with the DEM data you are using... the elevation cache might have an issue with it.

Thanks

Russ

0 Kudos
CarmaSatchwell
New Contributor
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Did you use the elevation tile scheme file to generate this?

0 Kudos
CarmaSatchwell
New Contributor

I used a new tiling scheme, same as elevation but with custom projection. So LERC compression.

Carma Satchwell

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you send the one you used?

0 Kudos