can I change symbology based on multiple fields in AGOL?

04-13-2018 11:52 AM
LynnBerni
Occasional Contributor II

Is it possible to customize the symbology in AGOL based on multiple fields, like I would in ArcMap (or Pro) using the "unique values, many fields" option? 

In AGOL, I can select a specific field (attribute), which is great. But then when I go to add a second attribute, only those fields with numeric data are available in the dropdown and this second attribute is used to rank or numerically represent the data in field 1. Erg!

My work-around was to add my Waterways data to the map twice (since I need two fields to get the symbology the way I want), and adjust the symbology for each field respectively. Not ideal of course, but It worked well enough for this particular situation,

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Lynn

0 Kudos
6 Replies
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

You might end up having to create a new attribute field and then populating it by concatenating the other fields you're interested in. Once that's done, symbolize based on the new concatenated field.

LynnBerni
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks Steve. I guess that would work, but.....oh maaan!

SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

Hah. I hear ya..

Guidovan_der_Kolk2
New Contributor III

You can use the above method using Arcade  That way you don't have to add anything physical to your source data. 

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Guido, can you elaborate?

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
JeffreyROLAND
New Contributor III

This can be done in the picklist where you choose the unique field to attibute. Just choose New Expression which can be found at the bottome of the picklist (see attached) screenshot.

Arcade is a scripting language not too different than VB script. You can select two fields in the expression builder and put a concatinator  in between the fields.

The problem I'm having is that now the OPTIONS button does not let me customize the style symbol. I'm stuck with the default color circles that it gives me!

0 Kudos