Can I change layer of basemap for each photo into Story Map Tour?

Jump to solution
12-07-2017 09:36 AM
KatyaDiaz
New Contributor III

Hello everyone!

I am building a story map tour and I need show differents layers over the basemap for each photo that I have. Until now, I just customize the basemap adding one layer, but I can't change this layer for the next photo and the next...

Thank you in advance for your help!

Katya

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi, Story Map Tour doesn't allow that. Both Tour and Shortlist display the same map irrespective of which place you are looking at. The extent of the map can change, but not the content in the map. For what you are looking to do, try using Story Map Journal. Each section in a Map Journal can display whatever map you want: you could use a different web map in each section, or display the same web map but with a different extent or layers on/off in each section. You could then make one section for each place you want to show in your tour. Quite a few users are doing their tour-type story maps in Map Journal when they want that flexibility. It also lets you have multiple photos and unlimited text description per place.Unlike Map Tour, Map Journal doesn't let you drive the tour from an dataset or import all your places as photos from Flickr in one go: you have to manually author each section. Here are some examples: Story Map Journal Gallery | Story Maps 

Hope that helps.

Rupert

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi, Story Map Tour doesn't allow that. Both Tour and Shortlist display the same map irrespective of which place you are looking at. The extent of the map can change, but not the content in the map. For what you are looking to do, try using Story Map Journal. Each section in a Map Journal can display whatever map you want: you could use a different web map in each section, or display the same web map but with a different extent or layers on/off in each section. You could then make one section for each place you want to show in your tour. Quite a few users are doing their tour-type story maps in Map Journal when they want that flexibility. It also lets you have multiple photos and unlimited text description per place.Unlike Map Tour, Map Journal doesn't let you drive the tour from an dataset or import all your places as photos from Flickr in one go: you have to manually author each section. Here are some examples: Story Map Journal Gallery | Story Maps 

Hope that helps.

Rupert

KatyaDiaz
New Contributor III

Hi Rupert,

Well... I have a Story Map Series - Tabbed and in this I  "incrusted" two Story Map Journal and I wanted incrust one Story Map Tour into the one of the SM Journal for show some specific photos and their location (polygon shape) for each photo.

I saw one story map of IUCN: A gallery of Amazing Species  and I thought do some similar, I know that this is a personalized design, so I need learn more about this.

Anyway, thank you so much for your information Rupert.

Katya

0 Kudos