Can I add new layers to my service layer

04-11-2019 03:26 PM
IsaiahEastridge
New Contributor

I have a service layer (with point shapefiles, a line shapefile and a couple polygon shapefiles) that I overwrite as an existing service usually once a week to update my online maps. Question is, if I want to add another shapefile to that service definition, can I without screwing up all my layers online? When I have tried this, I have to remove my layer from the online map and re-add the layer which is a pain because then I have to change all the attributes again along with symbology and scale range, etc. I currently use ArcGIS 10.6.1.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Isaiah,

There are some limitations to the responsiveness of web maps when you modify the underlying layer structure. Are you publishing to ArcGIS Server or ArcGIS Online? Is it possible to publish a brand new layer instead of adding it to an existing service?

-Kelly 

0 Kudos
JoseSanchez
Occasional Contributor III

Same problem here. Did you find a solution?

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

I would encourage you to publish separate services for each layer. This way you can just add or remove the layer when you add it, instead of having to re-add and configure the entire service that has 2 layers.

0 Kudos
JoseSanchez
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Kelly,

We use map services with several layers in order to create groups. Is there a way to group layers when they are publish separate services in a webmap?

0 Kudos
Kara_Lara
New Contributor III

Same issue here. Previous research indicated there was not yet the capability to group services w/in web maps. Desktop 10.4 provides all capabilities needed to make services as you want them to appear. However, when my employer/users request changes to our published services, I cannot figure out how to overwrite Map Services that have already been published to AGO previously.

Publishing separate services for ea layer of data would be a huge limitation to AGO map applications... considering there are no organization options & limited personalization capabilities w/in AGO map service/web map editing.

Esri, is this in the works? Is there any other potential solution in the mean time?

0 Kudos