Can I add a standalone table to existing feature service

08-25-2017 03:40 PM
Trippetoe
Occasional Contributor III

In AGOL I have a hosted feature service that supports a couple different maps and apps.  A new business requirement has surfaced that requires adding a new standalone table to the existing hosted feature service.  Is such a thing possible?  If so, how?  If not, what are some suggestions for doing this - perhaps add the standalone table as a separate hosted feature layer?

6 Replies
Guidovan_der_Kolk2
New Contributor III

Do you mean join/relate a standalone table to an existing feature service? It would help if you would explain the workflow you are trying to achieve. 

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Tom,

This is what can be added to ArcGIS Online (including tables):

What can you add to ArcGIS Online?—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

And here is how to show tables in AGOL:

Show tables—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

MicahBabinski

You bet.

There's probably a few ways to do it. The key things are to preserve the existing data in the feature service but then overwrite the service with the new tables. I would first add the feature service to ArcMap, create a local copy, disconnect the local copy from the server, add your table(s), make any other needed schema changes, and finally overwrite the service.

Here is some info on how to create the local copy in ArcMap:

Making a local copy of a feature service for editing—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Trippetoe

Thank you all for your responses. I am going to group my responses here.

Guido van der Kolk - i am interested in adding a true stand alone table - no joins and no relates to the feature class. I would like to be able to create, edit, view records in that standalone table

Adrian Welsh‌ - thank you for the links. My biggest concern is adding the table to an existing AGOL hosted feature service and preserving the existing data

Micah Babinski‌ - You are right; my biggest concern/interest is preserving the existing data. We have years of records, photographs, etc.  When i saw the warning from ArcMap that over-writing an existing service erases the data, i got very nervous.  So i created a very small sample data set, published that to AGOL, and then went through the process to over-write that service while adding in the new table. It seemed to work as desired.  

I didn't know about the 'local copy' approach you suggested so i will give that  a try this morning with a somewhat bigger data set.

Thanks again to everyone for your responses.

ps - i know its probably a new thread, but i'll ask here just in case...... is there a way to create a new record in a standalone table, i.e. a table that is not related/joined to a feature class in a hosted feature service?

0 Kudos
MicahBabinski

Hi Tom,

Since you have attachments, heads up that you might need to export the data from the hosted feature service. Go to the item details for the service and choose the Export option (to file geodatabase). That should retrieve all of the data and attachments in your service. I've had issues (10.4) creating local copies of hosted services that use GUIDs (which are used in attachments).

As for direct editing of stand-alone (not related) tabular records, I don't think it's possible in the default AGOL map viewer, but you can do this by going to the item details of your feature service containing the table, go to the data tab, and then you will have the ability to edit the tabular data. There may be a widget that you could configure implement in web application builder, but I'm not sure.

Micah

Trippetoe

Hi Micah.

Thanks for the heads up on the Attachments.  With that warning and some of my other concerns about data loss, i am looking at alternatives like creating a new hosted feature service to keep the old and new data separate

0 Kudos