can a publisher add data to online group

04-02-2020 02:59 PM
ZacharyUhlmann1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi.  I just started a new job and I need to manage an ArcGIS online group.  Basically I need to be the source for data and map products for a large project with differrent collaborators.  I created a group, but I can't seem to add DATA from my computer.  I am a Publisher.  My IT guy is the Administrator of the Organization.  My question is, do I need Administrator privileges to add data to the online repository?  And yes, I have read ESRI's online material (User types, roles, and privileges—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation ) and DO see that Publishers can Create Content.  Yet it does not appear that content includes files from my computer?

Thanks!

Zach

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Zachary Uhlmann, first off - congrats on the new job!  

I just logged in to one of our AGOL accounts that is a User Type of Creator and Role of Publisher, and I was able to see this option within the content page:

Are you not seeing that option? (also a side note, if you do use that option I recommend doing it in a browser other than Chrome, as I have had issues with that in the recent past. I believe it's a bug that's been logged with Esri)

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
ZacharyUhlmann1
Occasional Contributor III

Katherine,

Thanks for the response!  (apologies on my slow reply... : (  ).  Glad you responded or else I would have been misinformed on the solution.  I did indeed find a solution.  Originally I thought my problem was that I tried add[ing] item from the content tab on my HOMEPAGE, and I should have been add[ing] item from the group page.  But that actually was not the solution. 

I just needed to ZIP my files (shp in this case) for AGOL to see it, and obviously upload it.  So ZIP and then it will be viewable by the add item tool.

Thanks again!

Zach

Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Glad you got things worked out!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos