Bathymetry/Ocean Basemap Presentation

Jump to solution
07-26-2016 01:01 AM
JovanDjukanovic1
New Contributor II

I would like to use an ESRI basemap for a set of bathymetry drawings (displaying ocean contours and other oceanographic information) that go along a coastline. The ESRI 'World Imagery' basemap provides great imagery of the land which I would like to show, but the oceans are too dark to display bathymetry contours and other ocean information. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I could use the 'World Imagery' basemap to display only land imagery and leave the oceans without imagery? Ideally it would be great if I could use 'World Ocean' basemap which uses a lighter hue but with the 'World Imagery' basemap for the land data.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BrianCarson2
Esri Contributor

Hello Jovan,

This is all done through the Data Frame Properties. I've outlined the workflow below for you.

1) View > Data Frame Properties

2) Data Frame Tab > Clip to shape

DataFramClip.jpg

3) Exclude Layers

ExcludeLayers.jpg

View solution in original post

7 Replies
BrianCarson2
Esri Contributor

If you have a countries boundary, you can bring it and both basemaps into a single map document and then clip the World Imagery to the boundary. Next, we would need to exclude the Oceans Basemap from the clip process. However, in order to exclude it, you will have to ungroup the basemap layers in the data frame.

TestBasemapClip.PNG

JovanDjukanovic1
New Contributor II

Thanks Brian, I didn't know about the raster clipping option. I am trying it out and I can see that it accepts an 'image service' as input. However, when I try to add the ESRI basemap service, the services are not shown. I can only see the subfolders as shown below;

Input Raster Clip WMS.png

I am using ArcMap 10.4.1.

0 Kudos
BrianCarson2
Esri Contributor

Hello Jovan,

This is all done through the Data Frame Properties. I've outlined the workflow below for you.

1) View > Data Frame Properties

2) Data Frame Tab > Clip to shape

DataFramClip.jpg

3) Exclude Layers

ExcludeLayers.jpg

JovanDjukanovic1
New Contributor II

Great thanks Brian, I ran the process and it's achieving exactly what I would like.

ArcMap Clip Raster Coastline.JPG

Only my coastline vector dataset is not too accurate. Is there are world vector coastline dataset source that you could recommend?

0 Kudos
BrianCarson2
Esri Contributor

I used the Countries file from Data and Maps 2015 which is available for download from My Esri. There are two files available within the download. One is generalized, and the other is not. I used the generalized version in my testing.

JovanDjukanovic1
New Contributor II

Great thanks for your help Brian.

0 Kudos
BrianCarson2
Esri Contributor

Anytime.

0 Kudos