Batch Export ALL Data From Organization on ArcGIS Online

02-12-2018 12:43 PM
DanielYaw_Jr__GISP
New Contributor III

Most of my organizations data now resides on ArcGIS Online. I am looking for a way to batch download all of that data (or even a batch of selected datasets) all at once as file geodatabases or into a single file geodatabase. 

I want to try to do this on a regular basis to have a backup of our data. 

Does anyone know how to accomplish this or if I could use modelbuilder to do this? 

Thanks!#

7 Replies
Lake_Worth_BeachAdmin
Occasional Contributor III

without diving too deep into the analysis... pretty sure this can be done with the Python API

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

HI Daniel,

Are you looking to keep updated local copies of each feature service as a pure back up or are you looking to keep updated datasets both in ArcGIS Online and in your local system.

You can definitely look into scripting a daily back up of all of your features, using the python API or rest API calls:

Create Replica—ArcGIS REST API: Services Directory | ArcGIS for Developers 

Export Item—ArcGIS REST API: Users, groups, and content | ArcGIS for Developers 

If you are looking to keep up to date datasets in both ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Enterprise, I would suggest looking into the collaboration functionality that is currently available through the Early Adopters Community. This is an automated way to maintain copies of datasets across different WebGIS infrastructure:

Distributed collaboration—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

-Kelly

0 Kudos
DanielYaw_Jr__GISP
New Contributor III

Thanks Kelly- we're looking to bulk export all items, doing a regular backup. 
I do see that that can be done for individual datasets, but is there a way to do it with all datasets? 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Daniel,

You would need to write a script to export all of your items or look into collaboration.

-Kelly

0 Kudos
DavidRunneals2
Occasional Contributor

In regards to applications, I think I've figured out that I can just export these 2 jsons: https://ORG.maps.arcgis.com/sharing/rest/content/items/ITEMID and https://ORG.maps.arcgis.com/sharing/rest/content/items/ITEMID/data to get most of the configuration data for each item. The big question I have for you Kelly Gerrow, is there a way to reimport the jsons relatively easily? I suppose we'd have to re-attach map ids and maybe reconfigure the maps, but the configurations of the maps/apps/services should be relatively good.

0 Kudos
LynnOvertree
New Contributor II

I found a workaround that will help me download a batch of feature layers to a geodatabase. It is not exactly what you are trying to do, but might be useful in some cases, especially if you are not a developer. Basically, it entails bringing your online files into a map in an ArcGIS Project, then importing them into the project geodatabase. Now you have your feature layers on your computer. Here are the more detailed steps and options:

1. Create a new ArcGIS Pro Project
  2. Create a new Map within the Project
  3. Go to Catalog window
  4. Choose Portal at top
  5. Bring into your map all the ArcGIS Online feature layers that you want to download
  6. Go to the Catalog window again
  7. Choose Project at top
  8. Go to Databases folder and click arrow to open it
  9. Create a geodatabase saved to the offline location where you want to download the feature layers (or use the geodatabase that is automatically created in the project)
  10. Right click on the geodatabase
  11. Select "Import"
  12. Select "Feature Classes"
  13. Pull down arrow from first entry box and choose a feature layer from your map that you want to download
  14. Pull down arrow from second entry box and choose the second feature layer you want to download
  15. Continue for as many as you want to download at one time into your geodatabase
  16. Select "Run"
Note, for more structure, you can create Feature Datasets within your Geodatabase before you start importing feature classes and this will allow you to import your feature layers into logical sets.
This is much faster than converting one feature layer at a time to a shapefile, downloading it, unzipping it, and importing it into the geodatabase. Hope it is helpful to others.
Lynn
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

THANKS!  This probably just saved me 30 minutes per week.  I just created a "Backup" ArcGIS Pro Project and inserted all of the web-based feature layers I need to back up into one map.  A couple clicks later, I had all of my data backed up.  I had been exporting each feature layer individually.

0 Kudos