Backup and Restore of Agol content

08-12-2021 02:13 AM
DaniIsenegger
New Contributor

Hi,

we did not find any other statements of Esri regarding Backup and Restore Agol content (data, apps, maps) than https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-online-questions/backup-and-restore-agol-apps-maps-data/m-p/102....

My question is slightly different since it targets more to deletion of items in AGOL. These could be for example in case of

• an unintentional deletion of an item 
  • a hack of an AGOL organization (and e.g., deletion of all items)

So, does Esri provide a way of restoring of items of an organization?

We did not suffer of an issue described above, but the question was raised in an IT security review and I guess this (or a similar) question must or should be topic in many organizations using Agol in their productive environment.

I guess a complete deletion of all Agol items of our org would shut down some of our customer solutions for some days.

Thank you

6 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I am deep in this so hopefully my story will help.

There is no backup built in.  This has always been super weird to me as all other production data services have it.  Plus it could be a nice money maker for them.  This was brought up at UC a few times and they always said no there is no plans.  They are implementing (or have already) a Recycle Bin type feature where you could restore if someone deleted an entire item.  Anyone got a reference here?

Its hard on us since we can have millions worth of data in a single service.  Even if you assume AGOL will never lose our data, the more common issue is users accidently deleting data.

The best we have now is a Python script that runs each night as a windows batch job.  It basically simulates you going to the Item page and picking Export - To GeoDatabase.  With our security getting logged in via script is rather hard.  So this year I switched to a script that uses the credentials from Pro.  You login via Pro then Python uses that for up to 2 weeks.  I have a dedicated machine that just runs this script everyday.  I have to go check on it regularly.  Also strangely only the owner of the service can run the script so if I am out of town or anything we just have to hope.  It works pretty well until the files get to around 10 GB then it starts to fail or never complete.  Most of this size is due to photos.  At that point in the season I have to modify the script so that it downloads all the layers except the photos.  That means I could still lose the photos which is still a big loss for us.

As for restore I would love to hear any ideas as I do not know of any way.   We would have to totally republish the service from the GDB backup and all of my 123 forms.  This would change the Item id which would be the biggest pain I think.  The rebuild all our maps, dashboards, ..ugg.  I keep all my configs in notepad so I can copy paste in the rebuild.  There is an idea to upvote here to retain item id  https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-online-ideas/keep-webmap-service-item-id-static/idi-p/932310 

For now we only can use the backups to go back and look for deleted or overwrote data manually.

As the admin this is one of those that keep me up at night.  I have 10 million of data on the line and I am flying with no built in backup solution.  Again I have just never seen a enterprise class system with no backup before.  I have spoken with Esri staff, reps, and even the product managers (even Jack I think) themselves but I cannot get anywhere.  AGOL is hitting 10 years old now and is a critical system for a lot of companies so I think it is time.

I post my story in hopes others chime in here to show how important this is to you.

My script is here https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/backup-survey-123-feature-layer/td-p/104150... .  It is similar to https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/data-management/back-up-data-in-arcgis-onlin...  but built for daily use and a config file to download multiple services.

Thanks!!

BrittanyBurson
Occasional Contributor III

Hi, not the best answer, but they talked about this coming in the "The Road Ahead" session at Esri UC this year. Listed under "Near term" for the ability to restore items... I can't recall but I believe it applied to maps/apps. 

https://uc2021.esri.com/live-stream/19775053/ArcGIS-Online-The-Road-Ahead

BrittanyBurson_0-1628779702041.png

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Do you mean not Hosted Feature Services?

thanks

0 Kudos
BrittanyBurson

Hi @DougBrowning , we posted replies at the same time, I apologize I did not see yours at first. I think what was described at the UC is similar to the "Recycle bin" feature you mentioned, so perhaps this is not a true failover type system. Appreciate all the details you offered up and am curious to see any further posts.

John_Spence

LOL! A year later and we are still waiting for the restore or recycle bin to show up. **sigh**

DaniIsenegger
New Contributor

Hi,

thanks for your replies. They show that the topic is an issue with wider consequences. I wonder, if there is a (un)official statement of esri (other than the general ones you mentioned)

0 Kudos