Attribute Assistant Tool In ArcGIS Online

08-14-2015 07:53 AM
JeffJackson1
New Contributor

Is it possible to use the Attribute Assistant tool in the Collector for GIS or Web Maps to automatically populate fields in new dropped points?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
EdwardHankins1
New Contributor

This is an excellent question, has anyone answered this yet?  We could use this is in our setup at work

ChrisBlinn1
Occasional Contributor

Attribute Assistant is not configured to work with ArcGIS for Server feature services, and therefore edits applied from the web are not "listened" by Attribute Assistant.

There is an ArcGIS Idea to implement the functionality in a web environment:

http://ideas.arcgis.com/ideaView?id=087E000000059fTIAQ

Also, others have configured the GeoEvent Processor to have similar functionality as the Attribute Assistant.  There are methods for performing a variety of field calculations using the GeoEvent Processor, and therefore can be configured to do many of the Attribute Assistant methods.

As an alternative approach, you can implement a few features and workflow adjustments to use Attribute Assistant and Attribute Assistant-like methods against web edits.

1. Host your web data through a "web" version.
    • If you have a versioned SDE then creating a web version to host your feature services will keep all edits made online in that version.  Then opening the data in ArcMap, you could Manually run the Create/Change rules on selected features.  These selected features would be the new edits made to the data.  Although it does not automatically use the Attribute Assistant when edits are made, this still uses the rules and methods of the Attribute Assistant.  If you can put this into your workflow, it is one way of getting the value of Attribute Assistant into your web edits.
  2. Enable Editor Tracking
    • Many people hate losing the ability to track who and when something was edited online.  However, using Editor Tracking (not Attribute Assistant) to take this information, edits are tracked both in desktop and web environments.  You can even leverage the security settings on ArcGIS for Server to force authentication from users to view/edit the data.  This would then use their login as the editor.
  3. Nightly Python Scripts to update data
    • Although this would take a bit of work, I have seen organizations implement update scripts using python to run a nightly basis and update data.  For instance, if you have spatial methods in Attribute Assistant such as GENERATE ID BY INTERSECT, then you could implement a script to perform such functions on your data every night, to update the attributes.  Experience with python scripting is obviously the caveat here, but this would require no schema change to your environment.

Ultimately, workarounds exist, but like many others, this functionality is desired in the web environment.  With GeoEvent processor available however, I doubt there are any internal pushes from Esri to implement a web version of Attribute Assistant any time soon.

Good Luck!

JeffJackson1
New Contributor

Thank you for this information.

Jeff Jackson

City of Memphis Information Services

Enterprise GIS Group

119 S Main St, Suite 200

Memphis, TN 38103

Office: 901-636-7151

0 Kudos
MarcusVincent2
New Contributor II

Hello Chris,

Thanks for the response!

I've been scouring the web looking for any tips on how to automate Attribute Assistant..... I was hoping you could elaborate a little bit or direct me to some sources on how this is done. You mentioned this in:

3. (Nightly Python Scripts to update data

• Although this would take a bit of work, I have seen organizations implement update scripts using python to run a nightly basis and update data.  For instance, if you have spatial methods in Attribute Assistant such as GENERATE ID BY INTERSECT, then you could implement a script to perform such functions on your data every night, to update the attributes.  Experience with python scripting is obviously the caveat here, but this would require no schema change to your environment.)

I've got AA configured and the rules are running fine. I'd like to create a script to run the "Manual" Rules nightly. How do you go about calling Attribute Assistant from python?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
ChrisBlinn1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Marcus,

Using python scripts to call Attribute Assistant is not the method I am describing.  My apologies for being vague.  What I meant was you could write your own python script to replicate many of the methods that exist attribute assistant, through geoprocessing functions and other spatial modules.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
BrianO_keefe
Occasional Contributor III

Has this been done yet? Is the Attribute Assistant available on AGOL or WAB for Developers yet?

We need to prepopulate fields based on spatial location.

ChrisBlinn1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Brian,

No, and I would not expect it to ever be done through Attribute Assistant, AGOL, etc.

You may want to look into spinning up your own script to handle your field calculations.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Here is a current link to the Idea for adding Attribute Assistant:

https://community.esri.com/ideas/8713