Attachment Viewer Web App difficulties - "no attachments found"

10-11-2020 08:16 PM
EthanMcGhee
New Contributor II

Hello everyone,
I'm having difficulty attaching PDF attachments to the "Attachment Viewer" web app. I have tried troubleshooting through ESRI's tutorials and other GIS friends, but I couldn't find any solutions. My web map has correct hyperlinks (see images 1 & 2), but when I attempt to create the web app it says there are "no attachments found" (see image 3). 

I can offer more information if needed, just was wondering if anyone has also had this problem and has figured it out!

Thank you very much in advance!

Ethan

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ManishPatel
Esri Contributor

Hi Ethan McGhee,

From the looks of the screenshot, it seems like the attachment is not enabled on the layer, rather it is a URL string in the 'MapLink' field, hence when you select the field it shows that no attachments found.

Can you check if the attachments are enabled and try that again?

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Manish

Cheers,
Manish
ManishPatel
Esri Contributor

Hi Ethan McGhee,

Additionally, will you be able to share either your web map or the layer so I can suggest what is the best possible way to view the attachments.

Cheers,

Manish

Cheers,
Manish
EthanMcGhee
New Contributor II

Hi Manish, 

Sorry to get back to you so late, I'm currently in university and got busy with my classwork. I enabled attachments but I'm still running into the same problem. I've just made the map public so you should be able to work with it now. 

https://arcg.is/1qDj0j 

Thank you very much for your help!

Ethan

0 Kudos
ManishPatel
Esri Contributor

Hi Ethan McGhee,

No worries. Many thanks for sharing the layer. I did have a look at it and it seems that there are no attachments in the layer. 

However, what I can see from the attributes is that it is stored as a string in the MapLink field.

Hence what you can ideally do it either attach those PDF as attachments to each of the records so you can view those in the attachment viewer application or if you just want to view that in the popup you can configure using the custom pop up and display the link which can open, which I believe you already have that setup.

Regarding, the attachments there is no easy way out but I could suggest you can either write a script that can help you add attachments to each of the records. I can think of a simple python script that can do the job. Read the MapLink field value, extract the URL for the file and add as an attachment.

Please see this link for more info: Add Attachment—ArcGIS REST API | ArcGIS for Developers 

Hope this helps.

Let me know if you have any further queries.

Cheers,

Manish

If this answer solved your question or if you found it helpful please mark it accordingly to help others who have the same question.

Cheers,
Manish
EthanMcGhee
New Contributor II

Manish, 

Thank you so much for your explanation, I really appreciate it! This will give me a good opportunity to advance my coding skills  

Best,

Ethan M