ArcOnline; .CVS wont import: Duplicate Field Names Not Allowed () error

Jump to solution
11-02-2017 08:23 AM
Katie_RoseLevin
New Contributor II

Hi All,

I'm trying to import a .cvs datasheet and it just keeps giving me the above error. None of the field names are duplicate, they don't have any spaces or special characters. I also don't have any other layers in my content (I deleted them all). Any advice?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Katie_RoseLevin
New Contributor II

Thanks for the suggestions! I thought that might be the case, so I went back and changed them all to ensure they are unique, without spaces or special characters. I finally got it to work by loading it through a map, instead of just trying to add it as a layer. Seems like a bug in the program.

Thanks again!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

It's possible the fieldnames are truncating, and causing duplicates.  Do you have special characters or spaces in the row with your fieldnames?

Taku_RiverTlingit
New Contributor III

This is what worked for me - as soon as I changed the fieldnames to names that would be unique even if they were truncated, the error message about having duplicates didn't appear anymore.

Katie_RoseLevin
New Contributor II

Thanks for the suggestions! I thought that might be the case, so I went back and changed them all to ensure they are unique, without spaces or special characters. I finally got it to work by loading it through a map, instead of just trying to add it as a layer. Seems like a bug in the program.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Glad you got it to work. Remember to always mark helpful comments (if any) and one as correct (or "assumed answered" if it can't be answered) so the thread is closed. 

Katie_RoseLevin
New Contributor II

Thank you! I did.

-

Katie Rose Levin

Treecologist

Leaf & Limb

www.leaflimb.com

Tel: (919) 787-9551

Cell: (919) 703-5085

On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 12:01 PM, Rebecca Strauch, GISP <geonet@esri.com>

0 Kudos
waterquality
New Contributor

I have faced with the same problem. When I changed the file encoding to Unicode and saved the original file as an unicode file, it works! It's might because my original file has Chinese charaters and English characters.

0 Kudos