ArcGIS Portal Service Will Not Start After Install

Jump to solution
04-29-2014 10:45 AM
Gregory_L___Greg_Gunther
New Contributor II
I can actually start the service without errors but then if I refresh, it stops.

Here is the error in event viewer:

The description for Event ID 4098 from source Portal for ArcGIS cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Portal for ArcGIS

The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file

Here is the portal.log file:
Apr 29, 2014 12:30:19 PM com.esri.arcgis.portal.impl.NodeAgent start
INFO: Starting Node Agent.
Apr 29, 2014 12:30:19 PM com.esri.arcgis.portal.impl.NodeAgent start
INFO: Regular startup of PORTAL.
Apr 29, 2014 12:30:19 PM com.esri.arcgis.portal.observers.ConfigObserver d
INFO: Configuring and initializing data, content and index directories.
Apr 29, 2014 12:30:19 PM com.esri.arcgis.portal.observers.ConfigObserver d
INFO: Replacing base URLs in configuration files.
Apr 29, 2014 12:30:19 PM com.esri.arcgis.portal.observers.ConfigObserver a
INFO: httpUrl:IGSKAECGAS015.GS.DOI.NET:7080
INFO: httpsUrl:IGSKAECGAS015.GS.DOI.NET:7443
INFO: baseUrl:IGSKAECGAS015.GS.DOI.NET:7080/arcgis
INFO: sbaseUrl:IGSKAECGAS015.GS.DOI.NET:7443/arcgis
Apr 29, 2014 12:30:20 PM com.esri.arcgis.portal.observers.ConfigObserver d
INFO: Configuring web server ports.
Apr 29, 2014 12:30:20 PM com.esri.arcgis.portal.observers.ConfigObserver b
INFO: Found identity store type.
Apr 29, 2014 12:30:20 PM com.esri.arcgis.portal.observers.ConfigObserver beforeStart
INFO: Portal configuration has been read and updated.
Apr 29, 2014 12:30:20 PM com.esri.arcgis.portal.impl.NodeAgent start
SEVERE: Failed to start Portal. Failed to start JMX Server
Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
I've not attempted this, but you could try changing the logging level of the logging.properties file from INFO to something like FINE or DEBUG.  The file is located in the C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Portal\framework\runtime\jre\lib directory.  Look for the following section toward the top of the file:

# Default global logging level. # This specifies which kinds of events are logged across # all loggers.  For any given facility this global level # can be overriden by a facility specific level # Note that the ConsoleHandler also has a separate level # setting to limit messages printed to the console. .level= INFO

Once you re-save your file, try to start your Portal service and then review the service_error.log file (the same one you provided entries for earlier) and see if more helpful information shows up.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Some questions...

• Which version of Portal are you using?

• Is this occurring right after installation or did Portal work for, let's say, a few days before failing?

• Was this Portal instance federated with ArcGIS for Server?  If yes, how many servers in the AGS site?  Is Portal on a different machine than AcGIS for Server?

• What is the operating system for the Portal machine? 

• Have you configured the web adaptor for Portal and/or ArcGIS for Server?

• Have you enabled SSL for Portal?

• Which account are you using to run the Portal service?  Does it have R/W privileges to the arcgisportal directories?

Depending on your environment configuration, this article may help as it contains a very similar JMX issue that your error shows.
0 Kudos
Gregory_L___Greg_Gunther
New Contributor II
Which version of Portal are you using?

Is this occurring right after installation or did Portal work for, let's say, a few days before failing?
Right after install

Was this Portal instance federated with ArcGIS for Server? If yes, how many servers in the AGS site? Is Portal on a different machine than AcGIS for Server?
Portal is on the same machine.  I haven't gotten to the point of connecting portal to ArcGIS Server or web adaptor because the service windows service won't even start.

What is the operating system for the Portal machine?
Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Service Pack 1

Have you configured the web adaptor for Portal and/or ArcGIS for Server?
I have not configured the web adaptor because it can't see the portal instance.  The portal url http://machine.domain.com:7080 is unavailable because the portal windows service will not start.

Have you enabled SSL for Portal?
Can't.  Service isn't running ton enable it.

Which account are you using to run the Portal service? Does it have R/W privileges to the arcgisportal directories?
Yes
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
I've not attempted this, but you could try changing the logging level of the logging.properties file from INFO to something like FINE or DEBUG.  The file is located in the C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Portal\framework\runtime\jre\lib directory.  Look for the following section toward the top of the file:

# Default global logging level. # This specifies which kinds of events are logged across # all loggers.  For any given facility this global level # can be overriden by a facility specific level # Note that the ConsoleHandler also has a separate level # setting to limit messages printed to the console. .level= INFO

Once you re-save your file, try to start your Portal service and then review the service_error.log file (the same one you provided entries for earlier) and see if more helpful information shows up.
0 Kudos
Gregory_L___Greg_Gunther
New Contributor II
That was helpful.  Port 7099 is in use.  Now I'm trying to figure out what is using that port

Caused by: java.rmi.server.ExportException: Port already in use: 7099; nested exception is:
Gregory_L___Greg_Gunther
New Contributor II
You helped alot.  I had a application using that port.  Thanks for your help
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Awesome glad to hear it.  I was going to suggest a NETSTAT to check what app is using the port.  Can you please mark my post above as a correct answer?
0 Kudos