ArcGIS Online Unable to Load Image

03-19-2015 10:06 AM
KyleBalke__GISP
Occasional Contributor III

I am unable to use a custom image option for a point symbol in an ArcGIS Online web map.  I have tried using an image hosted on both Dropbox and Flikr; I continue to receive an error that says "Unable to Load Image" (see attached screenshot).  Any suggestions.  This feature worked prior to the most recent update to ArcGIS Online.

Kyle

Update:  This feature works with an image hosted on ArcGIS Online but not elsewhere.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
RandallClark2
Occasional Contributor II

Out of curiosity, did you get this figured out? I am having the same issue.

0 Kudos
KyleBalke__GISP

Originally I was using images hosted on Dropbox and my folder was not synced causing the issues...I have not re-tried hosting custom image symbols on Flickr.

0 Kudos
RandallClark2
Occasional Contributor II

Hmm..

i fond hosting on AGOL works well but then i have to make a bunch of symbology in AI which just sucks.

They should really make it easier to import symbols in to AGOL

0 Kudos
JürgenAchilles
Occasional Contributor

I am trying to change the style on a Portal foArcGIS map facing the same problem. How can I use an image for my symbology?  Where do I put the image for it to work?

0 Kudos
KyleBalke__GISP

Jurgen,

The image needs to be hosted somewhere (i.e., AGOL, Flickr, Facebook, Web Server, ect...) and be publicly accessible.

MelissaMcGehee1
New Contributor III

I have been successful in getting images to work as icons by hosting my images in Google Docs (there's a process to changing the URL to make it work). Unfortunately, Google is no longer offering the ability to host as of August. I am experimenting with Dropbox at the moment. I have been able to get images to work within Story Map apps, but could not get it to work within the maps either as an icon or within the pop ups. I will follow up if I have any success. But, if anyone else discovers a way to host images and documents on Dropbox and gets them to work within Story Maps and on map icons/popups, please share!

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Wow, that is a major pain. I was totally unaware of Google going away with hosting. I found this article:

Host web pages with Google Drive - Drive Help

It seems like it's just for hosting web pages (which sucks since I use this), but, like you said, there is a process to changing the URL of the photo to make the photo sharing work. It looks like that how back-door-approach is going away. This sucks.

I see Google is trying to promote their new "domains" thing too: Google Domains – Google

Though, that still doesn't help the photo sharing thing.

Have you looked into the "new" Google Photos? Even so, from there, I cannot find an easy way to grab a web address that has a photo extension on the end of it (like .jpg and .png).

Here is an Esri blog on using Google Photos:

What story map authors need to know about the transition from Picasa to Google Photos | ArcGIS Blog 

MelissaMcGehee1
New Contributor III

Ok, I figured it out! If you want to use Dropbox for images, it will work in the pop ups and as an icon. Woot!  There are some things that you have to do to the URL to make it work. Here is the article I found: Using Dropbox to Host Images on your Website

1. Copy the URL of a public image.

2. Change the beginning of the URL: replace www.dropbox.com with dl.dropboxusercontent.com.

Ex. "https://www.dropbox.com/s/z7e8tn25i94c7u4/Avondalelogo.png?dl=0" becomes "dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/z7e8tn25i94c7u4/Avondalelogo.png?dl=0"

At this point, the URL will work in a Story map. If you want to use it in a map pop up or as an icon, simply add https:// to the beginning of the URL. Ex. "https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/z7e8tn25i94c7u4/Avondalelogo.png?dl=0"  (it has to be https given the recent security updates)

I just have all of my URLs in a document so I can quickly copy and paste as needed.

I'm still trying to work out getting PDFs and Storyline files to work in my Story Maps when hosted on Dropbox.

RustyDunham
New Contributor

Thank you for this post. I was able to add links to dropbox pdfs in the pop up balloon and had almost given up trying to load images for custom symbol icons thinking it was a "permissions" issue since I don't have an account through an organization, but your post showing how to change the URL was a very welcome find. Thanks, again for the post.

0 Kudos