ArcGIS Online trouble with 3D extrusion in ArcScene

Jump to solution
07-18-2017 06:31 AM
PeteCoventry3
Occasional Contributor

I'm having difficulty viewing my Feature Class in Scene Viewer where my saved symbology is not appearing as 3D Extruded, but rather as 2D. I have a Feature Class uploaded to my ArcGIS Online account and opened it in Map Viewer. Here, I was able to apply my desired symbology and save. When I view this Feature Class in Scene Viewer, by symbology is correct, but I cannot view it as 3D Extruded. If I change the Symbols option from "Original Symbols" to "Change Symbols", I'm able to view my data in 3D, however I lose my symbology.

How can I keep my symbology and view it as 3D in Scene Viewer?

Here are a couple screen captures to help illustrate my issue:

Correct symbology, but not in 3D

In 3D, but cannot change symbology

3D, but cannot change symbology

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

You can use ArcScene, extrude the polygons by attribute and then use the Layer 3D to Feature Class and that will create the multipatch feature and you can get an idea of what they will look like as the scene layer in 3D. Then you can use the SV to style the layer using the Types or Counts and Amounts smart mapping renderer. To create that scene layer take that multipatch dataset and upload it in a zipped GDB and publish it to a feature layer, then from the publish dialog publish as scene layer.

View solution in original post

36 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Currently this is a known limitation. If you have the symbology on the polygons, you can extrude the features and convert the dataset into multipatch in ArcGIS Pro using Layer 3D to Feature Class tool. Then you can create a scene layer package and upload that to ArcGIS Online and use the scene layer and style it further in SV or you can upload the multipatch feature class in a zipped GDB to AGOL and from the published feature layer you can publish a scene layer. You can use that 3DObject scene layer and the Scene Viewers smart mapping support for this layer type to further style your layer.

0 Kudos
PeteCoventry3
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Russell!  Unfortunately we're on Desktop and not using Pro...any work arounds using Desktop?

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

You can use ArcScene, extrude the polygons by attribute and then use the Layer 3D to Feature Class and that will create the multipatch feature and you can get an idea of what they will look like as the scene layer in 3D. Then you can use the SV to style the layer using the Types or Counts and Amounts smart mapping renderer. To create that scene layer take that multipatch dataset and upload it in a zipped GDB and publish it to a feature layer, then from the publish dialog publish as scene layer.

PeteCoventry3
Occasional Contributor

Thank you so much for your help on this!  Feel like I'm close, but received an error....Here are my steps I took: I pulled my feature class in ArcScene, extruded the polygons, applied the Layer 3D to Feature Class tool, zipped the file, uploaded to AGOL and tried to open in SV and received this error - "Multipatch Feature Services are not supported"

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

one more step

- On the Feature Layer publish the Scene Layer. This is on the item detail page on the right hand side. Publish hosted scene layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS . Then add that scene layer to the scene viewer and clicking on that layer you can further configure its appearance.

0 Kudos
PeteCoventry3
Occasional Contributor

Looks like it's working!  Thanks so much Russell!!!

PeteCoventry3
Occasional Contributor

Hi Russell

Actually I'm having difficulty symbolizing my hosted Scene Layer.  I've sent you an invite to a group where you can see the layer.  All I'm trying to do is symbolize the layer by Total Value (totalActua). 

I've also added another layer to this group that I'm having issues with: state that "Scene service is missing root node" 

Hopefully you can check this layer out to see what I'm doing wrong...

Thanks so much!

Pete

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Did you publish this from a feature layer or a scene layer package? Can you share those in the group as well?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
PeteCoventry3
Occasional Contributor

I published both layers to a Scene Layer package. I’ve added both the published Feature Layer and Scene Layer in the group.

Is this what you were asking?

0 Kudos