ArcGIS Online Table Join fails without explanation

3822
6
09-20-2018 12:48 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Goal

Create a one-to-many join between a hosted feature layer and hosted standalone table on a common string field.

Data

Summary

TEST_trees contains individual records of trees (randomly created in this instance) each with a string value for the field COMMONNAME.

TEST_species contains a single record for each tree species. The field  Common_name_type_first is a unique, string field. The values in this field were used to generate the values for COMMONNAME in TEST_trees.

I have attempted to carry out every combination of tabular join using the Join Features analysis tool in ArcGIS Online.

Join TypeTarget LayerTarget  FieldJoin LayerJoin Field
one-to-oneTEST_treesCOMMONNAMETEST_speciesCommon_name_type_first

one-to-one

TEST_speciesCommon_name_type_firstTEST_treesCOMMONNAME
one-to-manyTEST_treesCOMMONNAMETEST_speciesCommon_name_type_first
one-to-manyTEST_speciesCommon_name_type_firstTEST_treesCOMMONNAME

Each of these failed. Each produced the error "Unable to add feature service definition" with the exception of the join condition in row 1. It returned the error "JoinFeatures failed."

I was able to successfully carry out the join using the layers linked above using ArcGIS Pro. I have examined the documentation on joins in ArcGIS Online and have been unable to ascertain from it why this join would fail. I have made the data listed above public and available for download. Any ideas of what I might be missing here?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlanRex1
Esri Contributor

Ryan Cooper

Can you create a Tech Support case for this (Esri Support Contact Support )?  
If you do, please feel free to let me know the case number and I can follow up with the analyst.

0 Kudos
Joseph_Kinyon
Occasional Contributor II

Ryan,

I tested a one to many join on the feature class and table you provided on ArcGIS online using the analysis tool.
It created a successful join first time no problem.
Please review, as I was unable to solve your challenge as I didn't encounter.
I posted a link to this successful feature that I shared and made public to your Twitter message.
I will delete this content in 2 weeks.

Joe

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you for checking this out. I'm curious, what was the process you went through to copy my data and generate hosted services on your account?

I ask this because I think I've sort of figured out what was causing my issues. I originally published the TEST_species standalone table straight from an XLSX sheet. Today I tried publishing it from a feature table in a File Geodatabase and the join worked as expected. I'm thinking there was some minor corruption from the XLSX sheet that snuck into the original hosted standalone table.

0 Kudos
Joseph_Kinyon
Occasional Contributor II

Oh yes, I think it's because the geodatabas is indexed and the Excel is not.

I did not know these details, I believe you introspection on your workflow is correct.

Joe

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yeah, one of those details I failed to add in the heat of my troubleshooting. Thanks again for taking the time to help we work this out.

0 Kudos
JenniferSmits
New Contributor III

Just writing this down for my future self's sake (and others) - my successful workaround was to make a view of the offending feature layer (originally published from survey123) - no special settings. Then join the view (which i realise creates a view of a view) but it works! In Map Viewer Classic.

0 Kudos