ArcGIS Online sign in issues with Custom Web AppBuilder apps

12-09-2019 01:50 PM
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

I hope this is a simple issue and something I'm just ignorantly missing.

I have a feature service and a web map that are both only accessible to people who belong to an ArcGIS Online‌ group in my organization (and members of my org). When they're logged in, they can see these things easily without the site asking for a login each time (as well as a dashboard).

I have made a custom WAB app through Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS‌ Developer edition (2.14) and am hosting it on my company's website. Each time I access this map link, even if I'm logged into ArcGIS Online, it makes me login again, but in a less friendly way:

Am I doing something wrong with the permissions? How can I skip this and make it easier to login?

I'm using the Dev edition in order to utilize Web AppBuilder Custom Widgets‌.

Tagging Kelly Gerrow

0 Kudos
14 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Adrian,

That (above) is very comprehensive and very helpful.  I would, however go back and edit out the links if you do not want them public.

I spoke to one of our Help Desk people about this as well, they informed me that there was a fairly major update to the way that AGOL and Web App Builder handles the Presentation of Web Apps.

That could be the reason why earlier versions worked without issue, but this one is having a conniption.

At this point it might be worth raising a ticket with ESRI support. 

But there is one more thing I think that you can try first:

I think that you should change the link back, I got your sign in page when I hit the old link.  This means that i am trying to hit your AGOL business account, which in turn means that if someone is logged in to AGOL on their machine and is a member of the group that you have posted this to, they should skip this sign in page and go straight to the app.

Other people, like me, will get the sign in page.

That's the entire page. I replaced the original src link (which was:

//***********.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Embed/index.html?webmap=79da6e358bbc4c328089cbbfce730a98&extent=-112.5366,41.1511,-111.521,41.5927&home=true&zoom=true&previewImage=false&scale=true&search=true&searchextent=true&legend=true&disable_scroll=true&theme=light

)

with my WAB link (https://********/18077/).

It is a bit of a round about way to do things i know, but it means that only people in your group can see the app.

You are effectively routing people from your page, through AGOL then back to your Web App builder app.

But this does mean that the security around who can access it is much tighter.

I really hope that you find the solution soon, if not it would probably be a good idea to raise a ticket with ESRI Support.

Michael

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Michael,

Thanks for your help. A couple of things.

This is the first time I have tried making a WAB app that had any kind of security so I cannot say how other/older WAB apps would act with the same security. 

I took out the 'sensitive' map links but honestly I don't think it matters much if they're visible or not. But just for the sake of it, I made them inept!

I understand getting the login page when you hit the old link but the old link only links to the web map, not the WAB app. I was under the impression of reading that article on embed web apps on a website (How To: Embed an ArcGIS Online web application in a website ) that I had to start by sharing and create an embedded map, then change the embed code from the map to the app.

If that is still an issue, then maybe it's something in my WAB code that is causing issues (or maybe the way that I hosted it on my website server backend). I will likely have to open a ticket (likely on Wednesday) with support to see if there are other things I'm missing.

Thanks so much again for your help!

I'll let you know what's happening when I get more info.

Vince_ERAC
New Contributor III

This post is old now, but I am looking to resolve the exact same issue - is there any update? I have a WAB DE app hosted on AWS, the app is registered with AGO and has an AppID. The underlying webmap and all layers are shared to our AGO Org. When a user launches the App from AGO, it again prompts them to login. Hoping to find a way to remove that repeated log in for the users.

0 Kudos
JacobWeber
New Contributor

Hi Mike,

I am trying to upgrade some old Web AppBuilder Dev Ed. apps from version 2.15 to the latest 2.20 and am now seeing this issue.  Were you ever able to resolve it?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Vince_ERAC
New Contributor III

Hi Jacob,

My issue was forgetting to 'download' the app from web appbuilder dev after making some changes and simply copying the app files from the local web app builder folder. Downloading the app makes a few modifications in the config files and prepares it for hosting. I dont however recall which properties to manually change - hopefully if you download your app from web appbuilder dev that will resolve it for you.

0 Kudos