ArcGIS Online sharing and restrictions

Jump to solution
10-10-2018 05:06 AM
PanGIS
by
Occasional Contributor III
Hi guys,
A question just came up to my mind.
Scenario: I am the Admin of an AGOL org. Many contents are shared with the organization, and I am fine with that.
A new guy comes to the office, and he needs to have access to the premium capabilities of AGOL.
I prepare a new account for him, but I do not trust him enough yet to let him see the shared content.
Can I keep that content shared with the organization and mark him an exception?
If it is not possible, what would be the best workaround?
Thanks!
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisWhitmore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Pan gis‌, you can also use a custom role for this user and grant them specific privileges for what content they can view. There are privileges that restrict access to content / groups shared with the organization:

View content shared with the organization

View groups shared with organization

- View organizational members

When these privileges are removed, users can only see what is explicitly shared with them via group or is public. 

Here is documentation that lists the available privileges: Levels, roles, and privileges—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Here is documentation for configuring custom roles: Configure roles—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Cheers, 

Chris

View solution in original post

6 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Pan gis,

For that you would want to create groups in your organization and share content that requires a certain trust level to only that group. The you would have to add that user to that group for them to be able to get access to that content.

PanGIS
by

Hi Robert, 

yes, I was just wondering if there was another way to create custom exception without altering the existing sharing model.

But is not there (yet).

A (maybe stupid) example that comes to my mind is Facebook: I share my content with all friends except to: X person or X Group.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

No there is no exception model in AGOL.

0 Kudos
ChrisWhitmore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Pan gis‌, you can also use a custom role for this user and grant them specific privileges for what content they can view. There are privileges that restrict access to content / groups shared with the organization:

View content shared with the organization

View groups shared with organization

- View organizational members

When these privileges are removed, users can only see what is explicitly shared with them via group or is public. 

Here is documentation that lists the available privileges: Levels, roles, and privileges—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Here is documentation for configuring custom roles: Configure roles—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Cheers, 

Chris

PanGIS
by

Hi Chris, many thanks

I will have a look!

I thought you could set up custom roles only on Portal!

0 Kudos
RheannaNeidinger
New Contributor II

Hi All, is it possible to share a feature layer with a group but limit the data within the feature layer? For example we have a feature layer of bird nests and we would like to share the bird nest locations with another group, but only the bird nests associated with a certain attribute in the feature layer (i.e. the project number associated with certain bird nests).

Thank you!

0 Kudos