ArcGIS Online - Premium Feature Data Store encryption at rest/on disk?

06-19-2018 10:23 AM
BradleyMcCallum
New Contributor III

Hi! 

Quick question...

Does the ArcGIS-Premium-Feature-Data-Store use encryption at rest, or on disk?

Our IT and security folks require encrypted disk storage for certain types of data. If our organization wants its own/license premium feature data store, can we ask that data at rest, or on disk be encrypted? I realize this may have a performance penalty, but its much less of a deal-breaker than a lack of encryption.

thanks,

Brad

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Check out our ArcGIS Online Security page:

Cloud Capabilities—ArcGIS Trust Center | ArcGIS 

If that doesn't answer your question you can send an email to securesoftware@esri.com 

0 Kudos
BradleyMcCallum
New Contributor III

Thanks for the quick reply Katie. I've looked at the link and unfortunately, doesn't answer my question. I sent an email, but it bounced.

----- Transcript of session follows ----- ... while talking to smtprelay.esri.com.:

>>> DATA

<<< 550 5.1.1 <securesoftware@esri.com>... User unknown

550 5.1.1 <securesoftware@esri.com>... User unknown <<< 503 5.0.0 Need RCPT (recipient)

Any other options or people I could contact?

Thanks!

Brad

0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Bradley,

We apologize for our alias at securesoftware@esri.com being temporarily unavailable.

We very recently changed aliased and this one wasn’t yet enabled for external access by external users, hence the bounce you got.

Glad you were able to obtain the answer you needed re: AGO encryption at rest in hosted feature services.

Feel free to reach out to us with any security, privacy, or compliance concerns you may have moving forward.

--Randall, Esri PSIRT

0 Kudos
BradleyMcCallum
New Contributor III

Hi!

I received an answer from tech support in Canada. This is as of March 2018.

"I got this feedback from the ArcGIS Online product manager: "

"All hosted feature services on ArcGIS Online since March have been encrypted at rest. Those created before that date are slowly being moved. This has nothing to do with Premium services, that too is inclusive of what we are doing."

Hope this helps someone.

Brad

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hey Bradley,

To provide a little more detail about the response that you received, encryption at REST actually applies to the services in organizations that have been activated, not services that have been published since March. If your organization was activated after March 10, your data will be encrypted at REST. 

Here is a more detailed response:

We are in the process of enabling encryption at REST for all organization hosted in ArcGIS Online

All organizations that have been activated since March 10, 2018 are encrypted at REST for hosted feature services. Organizations that were activated prior to March are currently in the process of having encryption at REST enabled for hosted feature service. This process is expected to be completed in the Fall of 2018 when this will be widely communicated.

Please let us know if you have more questions,

-Kelly

Randall Williams‌ will follow up with you about the email issue.

0 Kudos