ArcGIS Online: Permissions for viewing level and editing level for web map and feature layers are not respected,

03-07-2020 08:25 PM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

ArcGIS Online: Permissions for viewing level and editing level for web map and feature layers are not respected,

Despite the fact that the editing level permissions are set for users belong to particular groups, I observed that editing is still enabled without the need to sign in!

What could be the issue here?

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
4 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

If the map and the layers in it are shared publicly, then it can be edited by anyone.

The recommended workflow is to create a hosted feature layer view of the layer to be used in the public map that does not have editing enabled. For those people that need to make edits, create an additional web map that is only shared internally that contains the hosted feature layer that has editing enabled (but is not shared publicly). 

See "Is the Item an Editable Hosted Feature Layer" in this Esri help page:

Best practices for sharing—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation  

There is a ton of documentation that Esri has provided for ArcGIS Online workflows and best practices, I highly recommend reading through it to see what other information you can glean from it. 

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

I found out that the permission plan structure for ArcGIS Online is a bit confusing. I think that this issue can be resolved if the permissions for viewing and editing access options are made available.

For example, a layer can have the following permission plan:

I found out that the permission plan structure for ArcGIS Online is a bit confusing. I think that this issue can be resolved if the permissions for viewing and editing access options are made available.

For example, a layer can have the following permission plan:

Viewing Access:

Every one

All users (members)

Groups:

Editing Access:

Every one

All users (members)

Groups:

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

I like that idea! I do agree that all the details of permissions, roles, user types etc can be really confusing at first!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thanks for the answer Katherine.

I addition to viewing and editing access, I think download permissions need to be also managed in the same manner at the level of each layer service

Viewing Access:

Every one

All users (members)

Groups:

Editing Access:

Every one

All users (members)

Groups

Download access

Every one

All users (members)

Groups