ArcGIS Online - Need to prevent users from zooming in too close or out too far

06-17-2016 07:51 AM
RayCrew
Occasional Contributor II

I have not found a way in ArcGIS OnLine Web Mapping Applications nor Web Maps to limit how far users can zoom in or out. It is possible if there is a cached base map, but not otherwise. Setting scale dependencies and limits on REST services and layers does not negate this need. That will stop the layers from being displayed, but still allow scales that may cause users confusion, frustrations, and problems. Setting a default scale and extent will also fail to address this. This function was possible in an older ESRI platform, ArcGIS for Flex, by specifying LODs.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Example of my user's problems:  Have a global map showing total population by country. The current setup allows a user to zoom in very tight (like to 1:1,147) of automatically zooms to such a scale after searching for a point location. At that scale the user will most likely be deep inside one country's polygon requiring them to have to pan and zoom back out many times to see another country to compare to.

inside+one+polygon.PNG

17 Replies
RayCrew

Hi Kelly:

Jake's idea above only works with cached data. I consider that an oversight on ESRI part, but that is the way it is.  I still need to have user zoom in to different levels, so cutting it out completely will not work. And presentations will not work as navigating around the map and exploring the data is too important.

And on the idea to support, I am the one who submitted that. The only support so far has been me, so let me petition to you to vote it up.

Raymond

RayCrew

Please folks, go vote my idea up.

https://community.esri.com/ideas/12160 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I found a confirmed / Reproducible bug with AGOL.  I had the build a fresh webmap from a service and a vanilla WAB hosted online all on AGOL.  The limiting of zoom out to max scale doesn't work.  

--------

The reference number for the bug is BUG-000099639: Setting custom visible scales in ArcGIS Online Web App Builder fails when you remove scale values of 591,657,527.591555 ; 295,828,763.795777 and 147,914,381.897889.

0 Kudos
RayCrew

Kevin. I do not think this has anything to do with this topic. Honestly I am not sure since I do not understand much of what you typed.  

0 Kudos
RayCrew

Marking this as assumed answered is not correct. 

0 Kudos
RayCrew

Seven months later and still no real response from ESRI makes me sad. 

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your feedback. This is definitely something that we are considering for a future release in the software but is not available without the above mentioned workarounds. If this is specific to a search widget, you can set the default zoomn in most configurable apps and with url parameters.

-Kelly

EricPeña
Occasional Contributor

This is exactly what I need to do but it seems url parameters cannot be concatenated.  I've tried query & scale as well as find & scale parameters but neither seem to take the scale setting, they just ignore the scale setting.  See examples below:

find & scale parameter

query & scale parameter

In addition the Search Widget zoom scale settings are not available for Feature layer searches, only Geocoder searches.

0 Kudos