ArcGIS Online Maps on iPhone - Location GPS problems

08-09-2012 03:07 PM
SteveGoates1
New Contributor II
Hello all, thanks for reading.

I made a webmap for the first time using ArcGIS online.  I put a QR code linking to the map onto one of our paper maps, so the public could open a web version of the same map.  When it loads up, either in the QR code reader program, or in Safari - and after the user allows the app to use their location - the location is off by hundreds of yards and shows a question mark.

I noticed that if i open the google maps app that comes with iphone first, the location gets nailed in the webmap app.

I also noticed that on an iPad, it nails the location right off the bat as well.

Any suggestions on getting the iphone versions of webmaps to find the user's correct location?

thank you!!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Are you having issues getting the location from the ArcGIS iOS application, or just from Safari on the iPhone?
Do you notice a difference if you use the native iOS app?

Cheers,
Andrew
0 Kudos
goatessteve
New Contributor
Are you having issues getting the location from the ArcGIS iOS application, or just from Safari on the iPhone?
Do you notice a difference if you use the native iOS app?

Cheers,
Andrew

Thanks for replying Andrew,
The native ArcGIS app works beautifully - no problems at all.
My map is posted as a qr code though for the public, whom i assume wouldn't have the ArcGIS app installed on their smartphones. 
So the QR code reader program loads up the map - which is framed so that the gps button isn't even visible - so the user has to open it in Safari, that's where i run into the GPS problems.
0 Kudos
SørenTollund_Christensen
New Contributor II
We have seen similar problems in Safari where the GPS doesn't show up in the expected area at all. However this is apparently related to the coordinate system used in the webmap. If the coordinate system is Esri "standard" (WGS_1984_Web_Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere WKID: 3857 Authority: EPSG) the GPS dot seems to be located correctly. If the webmap is in a local UTM (ETRS89 UTM32N) it doesn't work. Our guess is that the coordinate info isn't brought along to the Safari map viewer - it seems like some kind of 'on-the-fly' projection is needed. How can this be initiated?

Regards,
Søren
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
The coordinate location should be getting reprojected. Can you share the URL to your web map?

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
SørenTollund_Christensen
New Contributor II
Hi Mike,

Sorry for not getting back to you before. Here is the link to the webmap: http://bit.ly/T2lmaN

Best Regards,
Søren

The coordinate location should be getting reprojected. Can you share the URL to your web map?

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
nathanhenderson
New Contributor
Hello all, thanks for reading.  

I made a webmap for the first time using ArcGIS online. I put a   QR code linking to the map onto one of our paper maps, so the public could open a web version of the same map. When it loads up, either in the   QR code reader program, or in Safari - and after the user allows the app to use their location - the location is off by hundreds of yards and shows a question mark. 

I noticed that if i open the google maps app that comes with iphone first, the location gets nailed in the webmap app.  

I also noticed that on an iPad, it nails the location right off the bat as well. 

Any suggestions on getting the iphone versions of webmaps to find the user's correct location? 

thank you!!

Hey, Have you solved your problem? I am interested in knowing the solving process. Would you like to share it with us?
0 Kudos