ArcGIS Online - How to Hyperlink to Local Document?

Jump to solution
07-16-2014 09:43 AM
GrantNichols
New Contributor

I would like to be able to configure ArcGIS Online so that when a user clicks on a feature, a pop-up attribute window appears with a link to a document (.tif image) that resides on their corporate network, and when clicked, the document will open on the user's computer.

Of course, adding the pop-up and URL is easy enough, however, I am having trouble actually getting the URL to open the image. I've tried various methods, but nothing seems to work.

Has anyone been able to configure the pop-up attribute windows such that you can open a document that resides on a local network?

Thanks,

Grant

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor

I Would very much doubt that is possible, as when you click the link it will try and route through the internet to find it, I would say you would get a 404 error.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor

I Would very much doubt that is possible, as when you click the link it will try and route through the internet to find it, I would say you would get a 404 error.

0 Kudos
CaseyCigic
New Contributor III

If you have an external website to host the document from, this is possible. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Oh yay I can finally help!

Yes, this is very much possible and actually easy. We had to do this exact thing, we wanted to open as-built plans as PDF documents with a file:// link.  IE (rather questionably and unfortunately in terms of security) will open a file:// link. Chrome and Firefox will not. So, you create a Virtual Directory on your server, such as with Microsoft's IIS.  Then, you link that Virtual Directory to the network path, the file path.  So it would be mysite.site.local/TheFolder/file1.pdf  where TheFolder is the virtual directory that really links to \\fileserver.yourdomain.local\TheFolder\file1.pdf 

For more see.. Why doesn't a UNC Link in Pop Up display image?   etc..

Now.. another handy trick (and yes this works with the approach above) is in ArcGIS Online web maps you can put a link or multiple file links in, as a "image". I screenshotted (with the Snip) the word "Property Card" to create links to our property cards. The 'word' Property Card, as a PNG image, appears at the bottom of the web map's pop now.  You can make multiple "links" with this workflow. It works great! Our users LOVE it!   Oh I should note, it goes to the right property card below because I put {PIN} at the end of the URL and that is how it looks it up on the backend.