ArcGIS Online: How to create shortcut link for “map viewer” in ArcGIS Online?

03-06-2020 02:16 PM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

ArcGIS Online: How to create shortcut link for “map viewer” in ArcGIS Online?

I couldn’t figure out if there is a way to create shortcut link for map viewer in ArcGIS Online as the one created by default is really long and not suitable for sharing.

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
9 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

If you click on "Share" within the map viewer, you can get a shorter URL to share the map.

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thank you Katherine for the help.

I observed that this link keeps changing. For example, if you generate this link and then pan the map, a new link will be created.

Jamal Numan
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

The reason it's changing is exactly because of the reason you stated, because you're changing the extent.

If you uncheck "Share current map extent", I believe the link should remain constant.

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

You are right. Unchecking “share current map extent” option keeps the link the same

However, the long links get back to appear for the map viewer as shown in the screenshot below

Jamal Numan
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

You said that the link was "really long and not suitable for sharing", which I can understand when putting a long URL in an e-mail body or something. Copying and pasting the shorter URL definitely looks "nicer".

However, I'm not sure why it's an issue that the full URL is displayed within the browser? Why is that a problem?

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

I’m happy that there is a short link. This is for sure much nicer.

For a reason, if you take a screenshot for the map, the long link appears on the browser with no indication for the short one!

Jamal Numan
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

So it sounds like you're sharing your web maps through screenshots, rather than just sharing the URL for them to click on? If so, why?

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

What I meant here is that sometimes I do use the screenshots and wished if the long list can still appear in the browser

Jamal Numan
LukeGilner1
Occasional Contributor

If you're just trying to share the link in a "cleaner" way through email or something, copy and paste the entire link into your email, then right click on it and choose edit hyperlink.  You can then edit the text that the link will display, like this: WebMap