ArcGIS Online Feature Layer Date Dissapeared

02-08-2023 11:13 AM
Labels (3)
ChrisDeFiore
New Contributor

Please help, data gone missing.

I have been building an ArcGIS Online Map with multiple layers. While trying to build a storymap with my map for a presentation, one of my layer's data suddenly disappeared! For a few hours I could access the table through the feature layer under "my content", but eventually that disappeared too. My symbology settings and legend are still intact.

I tried clearing all of my browsing history and of course closing everything and resigning in. But I am now missing days worth of data I collected in the field. 

I'll be super appreciative of any help you can offer. 

-Chris DeFiore

2 Replies
GIS_Fox
Occasional Contributor III

Hi @ChrisDeFiore , similar thing happened to one of our users yesterday. After an hour or two the data returned and it still seems fine. I recall a similar occurrence sometime last year and a tech support ticket had to be made to recover the storymap and data from ESRI's end per organization so it may be good to reach out and make a ticket if you haven't already since it's a few days out already. Eager to hear what the resolution ends up being since we may have encountered something similar recently.

Best,

Jansen Lyons - Records and GIS Section - Public Works - City of Rio Rancho, NM
0 Kudos
ChrisDeFiore
New Contributor

Thanks for your response Jansen.

I reached out to ESRI and they were able to help. 

The data on the feature layer seemed to magically return by the time I received help whereas data on a "view layer" did not return....weird... the view layer data was unable to be loaded by the map. but it could be loaded by the "classic" view. 

This was all very odd because originally I wasn't able to access my data through the feature layer or a view layer.

They said that for some unknown reason at the time ArcGISOnline was encountering an error while trying to load the geometry from the dataset. 

They suggested for now to create a new "view layer" from the feature layer.

So this doesn't really answer what happened but for now my issues are solved. I'll make it a priority to backup my data in the future. (Lessons learned the hard way)