ArcGIS OnLine - Allow selection color for polygons to be controlled

Jump to solution
06-17-2016 08:00 AM
RayCrew
Occasional Contributor II

In ArcGIS Online, both Web Maps and Web Mapping Applications, seem to have a default color set for selected polygons. The polygon boundary is highlighted in cyan and the polygon highlighted in a semi-transparent brown. (See image below)

While clearing the selection will removes the highlight, many inexperienced users may not think to do that. Users have also been confused with the coloring, thinking the value or class of the polygon has been changed to something else. 

Some Web Mapping Application templates do change the color, but I have found they then change too many other things to be acceptable.

Does anyone know how to allow selection color to be controlled in all Web Maps and Web Mapping Applications? I have tried all I know from the MXD used to make the REST service to all available options in Web Maps and Web Mapping Applications.  This is a big enough deal for my reviewers to kill the project without a solution. My dream is to keep the cyan boundary and have a no color highlight for the polygon. Am considering adding a separate line layer, but am hoping to avoid that. 

Chad+highlighted.PNG

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

Ray Crew​ It looks like you are embedding the Story Map Basic inside the Map Series template is that correct?  I'll look at modifying the default selection color for that configurable app to be transparent for the next release of ArcGIS Online but in the meantime you can change the selection color - although its a bit of a hack.

To modify the selection color open the configuration panel for the Story Map Basic app and paste the following into the Header Text field in the 'Header Logo and links' section. Then save the app and test out the search - the selection should now be just the cyan outline. 

<span>A story map</span><style>g#mapDiv_graphics_layer path {     fill-opacity: 0.1;     fill: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0);     stroke: rgba(0, 188, 212, 0.84);     stroke-width: 2; }</style>

View solution in original post

27 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Ray,

I do not think that out-of-the-box ArcGIS Online can change the selection color. If you are willing to get into the JavaScript of this application, then you can change the selection color in there.

RayCrew

I fear you are correct, which is a killer for me. The US Census security folks will not allow me to work with Javascript unless I am willing to go through a full security review. That will take 40 hours of my time to fill out the paperwork and then I will have to wait multiple months for an answer. 

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Ouch! That is a ton of time (and I imagine a ton of red tape as well). Could you maybe just quickly make the app, and send it to the Feds so they can see what it can do/look like? Or is that not worth it either?

RayCrew

I sent it to the reviewers with the brown and they rejected it.  Said it is a killer fault and the project cannot proceed. 

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

I am not sure I follow this but I'm guessing the federal government did not approve of the 'limitations' of ArcGIS Online in its current state?

RayCrew

I suspect it is highly dependent on what part of the Federal Gov you are working at.  The US Census, with more than a century of practice at the art of cartography, may be a tougher reviewer than most.

1880 Dist of  sexes 1600.jpg

Of course, The US Census has already produced and approved some AGOL story maps.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Interesting. From a brief glance, it looks like that Story Map is using the out-of-the-box template.

I would imagine not all fed departments are the same (though many similarities with red tape).

KellyGerrow

Thanks for logging the idea https://community.esri.com/ideas/12161

KellyHutchins

Ray Crew​ It looks like you are embedding the Story Map Basic inside the Map Series template is that correct?  I'll look at modifying the default selection color for that configurable app to be transparent for the next release of ArcGIS Online but in the meantime you can change the selection color - although its a bit of a hack.

To modify the selection color open the configuration panel for the Story Map Basic app and paste the following into the Header Text field in the 'Header Logo and links' section. Then save the app and test out the search - the selection should now be just the cyan outline. 

<span>A story map</span><style>g#mapDiv_graphics_layer path {     fill-opacity: 0.1;     fill: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0);     stroke: rgba(0, 188, 212, 0.84);     stroke-width: 2; }</style>