ArcGis On Line. Cannot find nor add from My Content

11-10-2010 05:00 AM
PedroMonteiro
New Contributor
Hello:

I put a layer in My Content, but I can't find it, or add it in a map, from My Content.

I had a zip file (less than 2 Mb) to attach and show the problem, but I also receive a negative response: "Bad Gateway.The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
ArcWS/4.0.20 Server at forums.arcgis.com Port 80"

Pedro Monteiro
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Only ArcGIS Server map, image, and feature services can be added to the map. Other layer types, such as layer packages, are not supported at this time.

Just to be sure, however, you do see your layer in My Contents, right? It should be there. It just can't be added over the map. However, it could be shared with others through a group.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
ChristianBlack
New Contributor II
Is this still the case? You can not add uploaded layer packages to My Maps yet?
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Yes, it is still the case.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
ChrisThomas2
New Contributor
I don't understand the logic.  Most maps I've seen that have value include "My content" to bring in relevant context.

I realize ESRI are smart people and have thought through this.  Any comments?...I'll keep googling for the answer.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
The features you are after are just not released yet. We are working on allowing people to put their data over the map.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
TamiqueMitchell
New Contributor
I am having the same issue, and this has now place a delay on my project. Can i get some help as to how i may be able to view this layer in an apllication i am writing using the silverlight API?
0 Kudos
BrookeO_Neill
New Contributor II
According to ArcGIS.com Help (http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisonline/help/index.html#//010q00000006000000.htm), the July update to ArcGIS.com includes support for shapefiles in the viewer.  To quote: "Support for shapefiles�??ArcGIS Explorer Online now supports importing features from a shapefile. This means you can use ArcGIS Explorer Online to create a web map containing layers based on shapefiles, and share the map in ArcGIS Online so others can view it in the ArcGIS.com map viewer, ArcGIS Explorer Online, and ArcGIS mobile clients."

However, this does not appear to be available yet.  Are the July updates not available yet?  Will this be available by month's end?
0 Kudos
MiguelGarriga1
New Contributor III
In My Map when you click on "What kind of layers can I add?", it says
  "ArcGIS Server map, image, and feature services, KML documents, and OGC web services."

Other kinds of content such as map packages or layer packages are not supported by My Map.  You can get Map Packages and Layer Packages into My Content, but you cannot get those into My Map.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
@brooke79 - you can add a zipped up shape file as a layer in the web map throught ArcGIS Explorer Online. It will then display in the ArcGIS.com Map Viewer too. We just didn't expose adding shapefiles  in the map viewer yet.  I think the limit is 1000 features. In Explorer Online, Click the Add Content button. The Import tab is where you'll find the ability to import a shapefile into the map.

@altamontegis - No, there is no current support for adding map and layer packages to the web map yet.  This capability will be packaged with a new feature, called ArcGIS Online for Organizations which will require a subscription. Your data will then be hosted as a service and this service can be displayed in a web map. Watch for news about this at the UC.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos