App that allows the user to easily map different variables from a dropdown list?

Jump to solution
10-10-2016 07:44 AM
PaulDiGirolamo
New Contributor

Is there an app that allows the user to easily map different variables from a dropdown list?  Like Change Style but the classification and symbology are pre-defined, the user only picks the variable they want from a list of fields in the attribute table.  So for instance a polygon layer using graduated colors and a point layer using graduated symbols, but with the ability to simply pick what to map from a list of 6-10 variables in each layer.  Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KristianEkenes
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Paul,

This sounds similar to what this app (Greater Seattle Demographics) does. The main difference is that you can configure styles with this app after selecting a field to work with. I wrote an accompanying blog post describing how the app was written Using Smart Mapping in custom web apps | ArcGIS Blog. If the symbology and classifications are predefined, then you would just need to reference the renderer objects that store those predefined values and set them on the layer with each selection change. Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KristianEkenes
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Paul,

This sounds similar to what this app (Greater Seattle Demographics) does. The main difference is that you can configure styles with this app after selecting a field to work with. I wrote an accompanying blog post describing how the app was written Using Smart Mapping in custom web apps | ArcGIS Blog. If the symbology and classifications are predefined, then you would just need to reference the renderer objects that store those predefined values and set them on the layer with each selection change. Hope that helps!

PaulDiGirolamo
New Contributor

Hi Kristian, thanks!  That's very much it, even simpler with no filter and symbology predefined and constant (Jenks, 5 classes, client's custom color ramp) and two layers each with a drop down list of variables.  I'll dig into what you posted, looks like alot of great information.  Thanks again

0 Kudos