AGOL Web Map/App Editing Capabilities

10-25-2016 10:55 AM
LukeFinley1
New Contributor

So I have created a rest service through my ArcGIS Server Manager, specifically a map service. Once I bring it into my ArcGIS Online web map it doesn't give me the option to 'enable editing' in the drop down menu, I checked back on the server manager and under capabilities -->Mapping Configuration --> Rest URL: --> feature --> 'Can Modify Layer:' it says false, even though when I shared the service from arcmap I checked the the allow updates box under 'feature access'. I have no idea why this is happening, I have allowed editing at both the Dbase and map service levels.

Also I have tried uploading one of the features from file, and I am able to 'enable editing' in the Web Map, but when I bring the map into an App, when I add the editing widget nothing appears where I should be able to choose which features can be edited. So I'm running into road blocks everywhere I turn. I'm merely trying to set up an app where somebody can go in and update a single field in the feature class, and be able to print the map with the new symbolization. Thanks in Advance!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Luke,

> even though when I shared the service from arcmap I checked the the allow updates box under 'feature access'.

This statement is a little unclear. When you published your map document in ArcMap to create a map service, in the Service Editor dialog, under Capabilities did you check the "Feature Access" checkbox? This will create a feature service behind-the-scenes to support web editing workflows.

FYI, Publishing feature services—Documentation | ArcGIS for Server 

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
LukeFinley1
New Contributor

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Yes, I did check the "feature access" checkbox, which allowed me to edit the "feature access" capabilities, where the 'update' checkbox is located.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Luke,

Ok thanks for confirming. So are you able to successfully publish a feature service? If not, please check that you've met all the requirements:

Author feature services—Documentation | ArcGIS for Server 

Regarding this,

> Also I have tried uploading one of the features from file, and I am able to 'enable editing' in the Web Map, but when I bring the map into an App, when I add the editing widget nothing appears where I should be able to choose which features can be edited.

If you are able to publish a feature service, are you saying that it works in the ArcGIS Online map viewer and you can edit features, but it does NOT work with the Edit widget in Web AppBuilder?

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos