AGOL Situational Awareness Widget Selecting by Attribute.

09-01-2017 10:27 AM
EricShreve
Occasional Contributor II

I am currently working in the Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS Online and have been utilizing the Situational Awareness Widget for a variety of applications for summarizing data. I have reached a roadblock with finding an appropriate way to summarize data based upon an attribute. On the attachment it depicts what I am trying to accomplish, which is finding the total sum count for farms that fall within the red transparency fill. 

The current process that I am using to find these statistics through ArcGIS Online is by clicking each transparent panel individually to find summarization counts with the situational awareness widget. This current process that I do is doable but for time sake and giving non-gis users the ability to use this application it is not efficient. If anyone knows of a process of summarizing data for a multiple layers that falls with an attribute such as transparent red I would appreciate it.

I have attached a screenshot that depicts what I am attempting to accomplish.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JessicaNeuner
Occasional Contributor

Hi Eric -- 

As I understand the challenge, you'd like to summarize the total count of farms in a particular area and that area is defined based on pre-existing locations? 

I have a couple ideas for you -- 

With the Situation Awareness widget, you can add existing locations to the current area being analyzed through the feature's pop up -- the Add/Remove Location feature action.   In the following screen grab, I can add a second flood polygon to the first through a feature action on the pop up: 

Situation Awareness widget - Add/Remove Location Feature Action

Alternatively, depending on what exactly you're summarizing, you could explore looking at the Screening widget,  In this case, the widget is reporting feature counts, area of overlap for polygons, and length of overlap for lines.  With this widget, users could simply select the areas they are interested in with a selection workflow, and then see the report of which farms fall in that area on the report results panel.   There are similar print and CSV download functions in that widget as well. 

Screening Widget - Selection Tool

Looking forward to hearing about what you come up with,

jess

EricShreve

Hello Jessica,

The scope of this work focuses on the Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station (PVNGS) here in Phoenix for exercise purposes to demonstrate the capabilities of using AGOL for the emergency response plan. The current process that I am using to accomplish this task looks like it will be done through the Situational Awareness Widget because it generates statistics fairly quickly.

The hurdle that I am running across with using the Situational Awareness Widget and following the suggestion that you provided is that each individual sector needs to participate in the analysis. Here's the process.

1. (PVNGS) provides my organization which Sectors need to be evacuated (Sectors are broken out into one-mile increments & 16 directional polygons to give it 360 degrees) 
  2. Through AGOL I filter out the distance in miles and edit the Evacuated Feature Service as "Yes" which is identified as the red transparent polygons.
  3. Then using the Situational Awareness Widget I select each Sector individually by using the Add/Remove Location that you demonstrated to provide me statistics on (school, hospitals, farms and demographic counts)

I can do this method but sometimes depending on the complexity of the exercise, I can have upwards to 40+ individual sector polygons that I have to select to generate the statistics which isn't practical for time purposes. This is where having the capability through Situational Awareness Widget to select a feature based upon an attribute Evacuated Feature Service = "YES" would come in handy rather than selecting numerous features on the application.

Fortunately, I can do all of this through Arc Pro to generate these number but for display purposes, it would be nice to be able to show this information through AGOL/Web Applications for my decision makers. 

Let me know if that helps with my description

Thanks,

Eric

Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station

JessicaNeuner
Occasional Contributor

Hi Eric -- 

Thank you very much for the further detail regarding your use case -- you're right, as it stands right now, within the Situation Awareness widget, there isn't a way to simply select a collection of features as input. We can put an enhancement request into the system to support this workflow. 

I was able to work out an approach that would enable you to accomplish this within WAB using the Select and Analysis (Dissolve Boundaries) widgets, though admittedly it's not an intuitive workflow. 

jess

0 Kudos
FrancisSenyah
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jessica,

Thanks for the information provided in this discussion.  I have some unrelated questions aroud the Situation Awareness Solution itself I wondered if you could help with.  I've deployed successfully from the ArcGIS Pro solutions tool, to my Portal and all appears fine. However the ESRI demo layers are all empty, is this by design (i.e. private?) or an error? As a result nothing works in the App as it does via the 'View Application' tab from the link at http://solutions.arcgis.com/emergency-management/help/incident-analysis-viewer/.  I can configure the App in WebApp Builder to use our own layers, although they only appear after a buffer is applied and the layer is selected from the tabs across the bottom. Can this behaviour not replicate the demo instead and show all layers by default regardless of whether the tab is selected or not, or is this custom behaviour? (i.e. View all of my incidents simultaneously after setting an incident location).  I have attempted to configure the widget itself in our own App and the behaviour is very different from that in the demo. Essentially I am trying to assess whether the same behaviour as shown in the demo app can be achieved out of the box and how much is customised?

0 Kudos
JessicaNeuner
Occasional Contributor

Hi Francis -- 

Thanks for your question! 

First -- yes, by design when a Solution is deployed from the Solutions Deployment Tool in ArcGIS Pro, the layers will be empty.  This is primarily for users who do not already have their data published and would like to use the schemas provided with the solution.  So, you can either load your data into the services that are published with the deployment, or switch out the layers in the web map for your already published data.  With the switch out option, you will likely have to reconfigure any widgets in Web AppBuilder so that everything is hooked up correctly. 

In Situation Awareness, I think the setting you are looking for is: Analysis > General Settings > Disable layer visibility management.  To support our Portal for ArcGIS users across versions, this setting is not enabled in the deployed configuration because it's more modern   Enabling this setting will make it so that the layers being analyzed are visible even if the tab isn't active.

hope this helps!

jess

0 Kudos
FrancisSenyah
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jessica,

Perfect thanks for the info, a great help!  I had come across some materials pointing towards the 'visibility management' option needing to be checked on and this works fine in AGOL, how modern is this functionality?  It isn't present in our 10.5 Portal - is it a 10.6 feature?

Many Thanks, Francis.

0 Kudos
JessicaNeuner
Occasional Contributor

Hi Francis -- 

Yes, that feature is available at Enterprise 10.6 and also starting with the WAB Dev Edition version 2.5. 

Cheers,

jess

0 Kudos
EricShreve

Definitely something I would be interested to see going forward with AGOL and WAB. I think my solution right now will be to overwrite the service through Pro using the basic GP tools as the incident increases in complexity so that we conserve AGOL credit usage in my organization. Thanks again for looking into this question. 

-Eric