AGOL feature service won't load or only one layer from a multilayer feature service loads in ArcMap 10.4

Jump to solution
03-01-2017 09:30 AM
AndyFairbairn
Occasional Contributor

Hi folks, I'm hoping someone might be able to give me a clue as to why I'm getting some strange behaviours when trying to load data hosted on ArcGIS Online in ArcMap. I have a number of feature services with multiple layers (max about 12 layers) hosted on ArcGIS online (originally published from file geodatabases).  When I add them in ArcMap using Catalog > My Hosted Services they all load fine.  However, if I try to use the ArcGIS Online option on either the File menu or the Add Data button one feature service doesn't load anything at all (no error messages, nothing appears in TOC), one only loads the first layer of 6, and one loads all layers fine. I get the same behaviour in ArcMap 10.4 and 10.2.2.

The feature service that only loads one layer was loading all 6 no problem until just now.  I have had this problem previously, and only managed to fix it by deleting the old feature service and then republishing from the file geodatabase again - but this only worked if I used a different name for the feature service.  And I really don't want to have to keep on doing this.  I've no idea whether this is what triggered it, but between this one loading ok and then not, I did do some label and popup management on the Visualisation tab of the feature service on AGOL.  Reversing these changes has not helped.

It is important to have the File menu/Add data button route to loading data working as I need other users to be able to load, view and edit these feature services in ArcMap.  They can't use the Catalog route to load the data as they're not the publishers of it. 

Any ideas? 

Thanks, 

Andy.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
AndyFairbairn
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jeffrey, might be more reassuring to hear from someone who has more experience than me, but thought I'd just chip in by saying that when I tried it out on a test dataset it didn't effect the data within the service.  To be honest, I've not got round to applying the fix more widely on our data, even though it's quick and easy to apply - am intending to, though moving away from ArcMAp has made it seem a little less pressing than previous. 

What I don't know, and would be useful to hear from somebody about, is that when the service gets updated whether the fix needs to be reapplied everytime, or if it sticks when done once. 

Cheers, 

Andy.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Andy,

I went ahead and tested this out.  Sure enough it worked.  All the layers were now getting pulled into ArcMap and no data was lost.  What we did notice though was that some of the layer properties were lost.  Pop-ups were disabled for all 10 layers.  When we enabled pop-ups again, it brought back the issue in ArcMap of the service only loading the first layer.... so its a fix for one issue but creates problems with others. I believe one fix to resolve both issues (not tested yet) would be to enable pop-ups through a the map itself rather than through the layers visualization tab.

Jeff

0 Kudos
AndyFairbairn
Occasional Contributor

Ok, thanks for that tip-off Jeff.  That'd be a deal breaker for me, so I might never apply this after all!

0 Kudos