AGO Premium Feature Data Store??

09-02-2021 02:34 AM
Labels (3)
SamCurran1
New Contributor

We recently learned that Esri introduced rate-limiting for AGO in September 2020.   As i understand it, rate-limiting is a new development in AGO.  It subsequently has impacted a few of our high traffic critical applications in undesirable ways including slow performance and 429 errors invoked when demand is high.  We have always operated on (what has become) the standard feature data store since 2014 without issue until summer 2021 with our wildfire application and data layers (2021 was/is a particularly active fire season for us).

We find ourselves in a situation where just a handful of our AGO applications and maybe a dozen associated hosted feature layers require the performance of the high cost M4 tier that allows for higher traffic and mitigates the 429 errors we were seeing.omegle 

We're hopeful that as Esri tunes the rate-limiting and premium tiers that more flexible options become available.  Possible options:

• cost relative to actual usage instead of a flat monthly fee for Premium Tiers
  • enable AGO org to specify content that needs Premium Tier performance
    • and enable AGO org to specify date ranges for when Premium Tier usage is required
  • better documentation and transparency regarding rate-limiting and performance needs.
6 Replies
MarianneFarretta
Esri Contributor

Hello Sam,

I’ll be happy to schedule a time to discuss your individual organization, and will leave this info here to get us started:

When following best practices for high volume apps (linked below), your organization’s read-only public apps will not incur rate limiting. Rate limiting is a protective measure which has been in place on ArcGIS Online’s infrastructure for many years and continues to evolve and improve over time. This is how we ensure “noisy neighbors” cannot draw resources away from other users of the shared multitenant SaaS architecture. Premium Feature Data Stores are dedicated databases, but other components e.g. web servers remain shared and their resources allocated equitably.

Essential Configurations for Highly Scalable ArcGIS Online Web Applications (Viral Applications)

Premium Feature Data Store (e.g. M4) is intended to support high volume concurrent editing, complex analysis, and other database-intensive workflows. Although an M4 may successfully support viral load for a specific public application, it is likely not necessary if the layers and app are configured following the recommendations for public apps. These recommendations offload the database work to a Content Delivery Network (CDN), supporting scalability well beyond what the database could handle directly.

ArcGIS Online Best Practices for Configuring Public Viral Layers

Here are some additional resources to review, and please send me an email if you’d like to discuss your organization’s needs directly—I’d love to learn more about what your org is doing and how we can help streamline your efforts.

--Marianne

Scalable hosted feature layers in ArcGIS Online: Tile queries and response caching

ArcGIS Online: Best Practices with Hosted Feature Services

0 Kudos
ArleneStevens
New Contributor

@SamCurran1

"cost relative to actual usage instead of a flat monthly fee for Premium Tiers"

what does it actually mean ? can you brief more clearly?

0 Kudos
siratmestoi
New Contributor

@SamCurran1

Yes this cost is really so high and cause problems many times but t will be clear at the start of the project  with accurate calculations and counter  it rightly.

0 Kudos
David09sm
New Contributor

Generally, some games would like you to use the spacebar for some necessary actions like shooting or jumping etc. So, you higher be fast at that! Spacebar speed take a glance at permits you to submit your score likewise as save your Personal Best scores for each interval. you will raise your friends to need the spacebar challenge and beat your score.

This Spacebar counter helps you to count the quantity of your times you will hit the spacebar throughout a given amount of time.

0 Kudos
margusentra
New Contributor

Hey @sam ,

I totally agree with the "better documentation and transparency regarding rate-limiting and performance needs" part. This is a crucial step that can not be neglected. I dug more into it and found out this amazing talk on rate limits and performance https://www.slideshare.net/marcwan/rate-limits-and-performance-paris

"

0 Kudos
margusentra
New Contributor

And yes, the Omegle error you have mentioned, for that I would suggest you to check https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/publish-services/windows/what-is-a-feature-service-.h... this.

__Marga

0 Kudos