AGO New Map Viewer release (4/1/2021) looking for a list of missing features

Jump to solution
04-02-2021 07:39 AM
EricPescatore
Occasional Contributor

Curious has anyone gone through and thoroughly vetted AGO new Map Viewer (Beta) which will shortly be released out of beta (4/1/2021 ish release) to see what functionality was missing from what will be called the Map Viewer Classic. As I have not been following its development, I am not familiar with the many changes and updates that occurred in the Beta.

I am worried that the new Viewer will lack some basic functionality that was present in the earlier iteration, and that this will turn into an ArcPro situation. In which the product lack some of the basic functionality of its predecessor, which will then be a slow drip to get all the desired functionally. 

Keep in mind that if the tool or workflow was rebranded and still there just accessed differently might be worth noting in a change log. Also haven't checked the beta site to see if they have a roadmap for implementation of missing features, as my quick google search didn't yield any results.

My ultimate goal is to see or create a list of those missing features (if any)

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Based on the comments, it looks like the Compatibility Guide has been updated since its original posting. I'd just check in there on occasion to see if it changes.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
EricPescatore
Occasional Contributor

FYI as of 4/14/2021 (10:10 AM) the compatibility guide post has either disappeared, archived or become hidden. Which is interesting as I had just posted around 9:45 to the bottom of that thread....

I believe it might be done to replace it with a new Blog Post outlining the Compatibility functionality guidance in a more high level area. Unfortunately some of the links in the blog are broken and inaccessible such as the Road Map.

The tale of two ArcGIS online map viewers: functionality guidance "and compatibility" 

I would post all the functionality that missing but rather not create a second "user moderated" post that could conflict.

But might as well do some tidbits as of 4/14/2021 

• No Calculate Field in Table
  • No Related Table viewer in Pop-up
  • No Copy Paste layer in the TOC
  • No Save layer to override its configurations
  • No Analysis functionality
  • No refresh interval
  • Some compatibility issues with Map Layers, Image Layers, Vector Layers, WMS OGC layers, too numerous to list.
  • There some other minor stuff.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Based on the comments, it looks like the Compatibility Guide has been updated since its original posting. I'd just check in there on occasion to see if it changes.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
EricPescatore
Occasional Contributor
This is great, thank you. With its release immanent I wanted to make sure there were enough tags and potential indexable search results for when my clients begin to call and do google searches for a solution to why X doesn’t work in the new era 😊
EricPescatore
Occasional Contributor

FYI as of 4/14/2021 (10:10 AM) the compatibility guide post has either disappeared, archived or become hidden. Which is interesting as I had just posted around 9:45 to the bottom of that thread....

I believe it might be done to replace it with a new Blog Post outlining the Compatibility functionality guidance in a more high level area. Unfortunately some of the links in the blog are broken and inaccessible such as the Road Map.

The tale of two ArcGIS online map viewers: functionality guidance "and compatibility" 

I would post all the functionality that missing but rather not create a second "user moderated" post that could conflict.

But might as well do some tidbits as of 4/14/2021 

• No Calculate Field in Table
  • No Copy Paste layer in the TOC
  • No Save layer to override its configurations
  • No Analysis functionality
  • No refresh interval
  • Some compatibility issues with Map Layers, Image Layers, Vector Layers, WMS OGC layers, too numerous to list.
  • There some other minor stuff.
SMauri
by
Occasional Contributor III

@EricPescatore wrote:

Unbelievable, isn't it?

Stefano

EricPescatore
Occasional Contributor

In the last hour I've started to fiddle with the New Map Viewer and the current guidance document does not cover all the missing features. I might as well start the

Undocumented Missing Features

Attribute Table 

• Table does not actively select a record
  • No Zoom to Selected Feature
  • No Select subset from selected feature
  • No Clear Selected (aka to undo what you just selected above)
  • No ability to filter from the table, would have to define in the layer in the TOC
  • No Related Table view, (it was noted that the pop-up did not support Related table, this also means the attribute table view does not support it either. Assumed a file field would exist if attachments are enabled.
0 Kudos