AGO Maps - can't move layer up in contents (feature vs map layer)

Jump to solution
02-11-2015 10:06 AM
DougBarker
New Contributor II

In AGO maps, it looks like Feature Layers must be at the top of the Contents. 

Map Image Layers are placed at the bottom and cannot be moved above the Feature Layers.

Is there any way around this?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Doug -- unfortunately, there's currently no way around this. See this blog post for information that will help you understand why this is the case: All About ArcGIS Online Layers.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

5 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Doug -- unfortunately, there's currently no way around this. See this blog post for information that will help you understand why this is the case: All About ArcGIS Online Layers.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
BrianLeroux
Occasional Contributor III

While this article is helpful in understanding how things operate, I am curious as to why it must be this way. Often times I have data only available as a feature layer and need to put it under a map service layer but cannot do so. Are web maps just architected in a way that puts hand cuffs on us? 

AnthonyAtkins2
New Contributor III

I'm in the same boat.  I created a layer that requires a join on a table, the only way to share this joined layer and have access to the attributes of the table is to use the Map Image layer feature, but having this layer at or near the bottom of the list doesn't make sense.

DougBarker
New Contributor II

Thanks Owen.  That's very helpful.

0 Kudos
MelissaK
New Contributor II

I found this old post but I figured out an workaround. Instead of adding the map image layer or map service, you can add a feature service of it (with URL). Then, you can reorder it. 

0 Kudos